History of Wells Memorial Funeral Home
In the early 1900s, owner G.B. Overton merged Green Funeral Home with the Wells Co., a combination funeral parlor, furniture and hardware store that was run by Fred Kelley Sr. and his son Fred Jr.
Once the merger was complete, the business moved into the Wells County facility. That’s where the business remained until it moved into a large house immediately south of where City Hall now stands.
Wells eventually bought the former Haynes-Griffin-Ham Funeral Home and was renamed Memorial Funeral Home. At approximately the same time, Wells purchased Hopkins Funeral Home and transformed it into Wells Colonial Chapel.
During the same period, in the early 1970s, Lacy L. McClellan bought interest in the Wells operation and became a general manager. In 1973, Wells phased out its downtown location and renamed its facility Wells Memorial Funeral Home. Wells Colonial stayed open until it was phased out in 1990, leaving the 1903 West Reynolds Street location as the company’s only home.
Today, we’re proud to be a member of the Dignity Memorial network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Wells Memorial Funeral Home began with a commitment to a high standard of service, and throughout our history we have continued to lead and innovate while maintaining those high standards of service. Everyone at Wells Memorial Funeral Home is proud to uphold this heritage and commitment to our community.