Woodmere Memorial Park was charted in 1918 under the operation of the Burial Park Corporation, including the following investors from Huntington: Dave Gideon, Azel Meadows, Sol Birke, R.E. Wise and Rose Sweeney. B.L. Wookey served as President. The original purchase included 42 acres of land that stretched from Washington Boulevard to Norway Avenue.
In May 1926, Burial Park Corporation purchased an additional 200 acres of land and reorganized the company under the name of Woodmere Memorial Park. B. L. Wookey remained as General Manager and continued his vision of creating a cemetery that would be rated one of the top in the country. Woodmere had already placed itself as a leader in the industry with Woodmere Abbey Mausoleum, a stately building with granite, marble and bronze, containing 432 crypts, two private rooms, and 36 columbariums for cremations that was the first of its kind in the area.
In 1931, Woodmere Memorial Park was re-chartered under the name of Woodmere Inc. The corporation was operated by R.M. Bagby, President, and Harry S. Shivel, Vice President. During this period of growth and prosperity, Woodmere expanded its operations to include Ridgelawn Memorial Park on the Pea Ridge Road and the Huntington Vault Company. In 1953, Harry Shivel became President and Don Shivel as Vice President of the corporation. During Mr. Shivel’s administration, Woodmere Inc. gained a tremendous reputation in the Huntington community. Upon Mr. Shivel’s retirement in 1983, the company was operated by Lucille Shivel, President, and Harry S. Shivel Jr. as Vice President.
In 1997, Woodmere Memorial Park was purchased from Lucille Shivel by an affiliate of Service Corporation International. In 1999, Woodmere joined the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation, and cemetery providers. Today, Woodmere offers a wide array of services and benefits while preserving the goals of its founding fathers.