Henry W. Woody was born in Richmond, shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War. He lived all his life in the city, establishing the Woody Funeral Home at 2518 East Broad Street, near historic St. John’s Episcopal Church, in March of 1905. Due largely to his reputation for professionalism and integrity, the business outgrew this facility and a new, more modern building was built at 25th Street and Jefferson Avenue in 1916. By 1926, this location had doubled in size and saw the addition of a modern, church-like sanctuary. Mr. Woody continued to serve families of the greater Richmond area from this funeral home until his death in 1958.
Woody Funeral Home was moved to Laburnum Avenue in 1966 and opened as Richmond’s first garden-type funeral home. Since 1966, three additional locations have opened—Parham Chapel in the west end, Huguenot Chapel in Midlothian and Atlee Chapel in Mechanicsville, following the closing of the Laburnum Avenue. All of our locations are full-service funeral and cremation providers. Our crematory, which was the first in Richmond to be associated with a funeral home, is located at our Parham Road Chapel.
Since the early 1990’s, Woody Funeral Home and Cremation Service has been a proud member of the Dignity Memorial network of funeral, cremation and cemetery service providers. Each family we serve, regardless of their faith tradition or financial circumstance, can expect to be cared for with dignity, professionalism, respect and compassion. Mr. Woody began our company with a commitment to a high standard of service excellence, and throughout our history we have continued to lead and innovate while maintaining those high standards of service. The staff at Woody Funeral Home and Cremation Service is proud to uphold this heritage and continued commitment to our community.