Established in 1925, Ridgelawn Memorial Park is situated on a former plantation that encompasses 47 acres on Route 60 between Huntington and Barboursville, West Virginia.
- Cremation Memorials
- Crematorium On-Site
- Flat Markers
- Private Family Estates
- Private Mausoleums
- Upright Headstones
- Water Feature
Beautiful grounds, compassionate care
Ridgelawn Memorial Park provides a tranquil place to honor the memory of your loved ones. Our peaceful cemetery grounds are covered with a variety of mature trees, ponds and fountains. Adding to the appeal are gardens dedicated to upright monuments and flat bronze memorials. We also have a modern mausoleum that was constructed in the 70s, plus private estates and cremation niches.
Please contact us if you would like a tour of our grounds or want to hear more about our cemetery services.
The Ridgelawn Cemetery Association was organized on May 5, 1925. The initial purchase was a 5 acre tract of land off of Pea Ridge Road in Huntington, West Virginia, which was known as the Garvin Estate. This location was a historical site that was once a trading post on the old James Kanawha Turnpike. The purchase also included the Garvin Mansion, erected in the early 1830s.
The first officers of the company were Stuart H. Bowman, president; H.M. BonDurant of Columbus, Ohio, an experienced cemetery developer, secretary; and T.E. Agee of the Bowman Agee Company, a well known real estate appraiser, treasurer. The directors included W.E. Deegans, coal operator; L N. Cook of the Raleigh Wholesale Grocery Company of Beckley; A. B. Farley, merchant of Beckley; J.D. Agee of the Agee Coal Company of Beckley; and a number of other businessmen.
The American Park Builders, one of the largest and most well-known firms engaged in landscape and city planning, was employed as the landscape architect. The initial charter wanted the cemetery to conform to the grounds of the Guyan Country Club, which was located across the street on the Midland Trail.
Expansion and distinction
In the mid-30s, Ridgelawn Memorial Park was acquired and re-chartered under the name of Woodmere Inc. The corporation was operated by R.M. Bagby, president, and Harry S. Shivel, vice president. During this period of growth and prosperity, Woodmere Inc. expanded its operations to include Woodmere and Ridgelawn Memorial Park on the Pea Ridge Road and the Huntington Vault Company. In 1953, Harry became president, and Don Shivel was appointed vice president of the corporation. During Harry’s administration, Woodmere Inc. gained a tremendous reputation in the Huntington community. Upon his retirement in 1983, the company was operated by Lucille Shivel, president, and Harry S. Shivel Jr., vice president.
Continuing the legacy
Today, Ridgelawn Memorial Park is a part of the Dignity Memorial® network of funeral, cremation, and cemetery providers. We continue to offer a wide array of services and benefits while preserving the goals of our founding fathers.