Violet Louise Modie
May 21, 1923 – February 28, 2018
Violet ‘Louise’ Modie (Hullinger) was born in South Bend, IN May 21, 1923. Louise grew up in South Bend, Indiana during the Great Depression but never lacked for the important things: love, shelter, food. She put aside her childhood dream of being a cowgirl and instead, trained as a Registered Nurse, graduating in 1945 from Memorial Hospital in South Bend, Indiana. Her professional career included working in hospitals, a doctor’s office, and she finished her career as an industrial nurse for General Tire. She met her husband while he was attending Notre Dame and fell hard for the man in a Navy uniform. They married and enjoyed 71 years of marriage. They loved to listen to live music, dance, play bridge, and entertain.
Louise was a passionate reader who always had a book in her hand and one in her purse. She was a creative soul who dabbled in painting in both oils and watercolors. She was a great story teller and authored a number of short stories. She found an outlet for her creativity through cooking. She mastered the art of seasoning and could make any dish extraordinary. Her collection of one-of-a-kind recipes are memorialized in a family cookbook. Louise moved with her husband throughout the Midwest and spent many years living in Richfield Ohio. Predeceased in death by her father Paul Newton Hullinger (WWI Veteran), mother Violet Matilda Hullinger, brother Paul Hullinger (WWII Veteran), and grandson Benjamin Modie (USMC, USCG).
Survived by husband Donald Edward Modie (USN), children Donald (Susan), Philip (Nora), Paul, Marguerite, 11 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, please send donations in Louise’s name to the American Cancer Association.
Family will receive friends on Wednesday, March 7 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. with the Funeral Service following at 6 p.m. at the Rose Hill Funeral Home, 3653 W Market St., Akron, OH 44333. Interment Western Reserve National Cemetery.
- Donald Edward Modie, Husband
- Donald (Susan) Modie, Son
- Jennifer Modie, Granddaughter
- Ethan Modie, Great Grandson
- Philip (Nora) Modie, Son
- Tiffanie (John) Petrovich, Granddaughter
- Aspen Petrovich, Great Granddaughter
- Paisley Petrovich, Great Granddaughter
- Brandi (Drew) Auman, Granddaughter
- Christian Auman, Great Grandson
- Kennedy Auman, Great Granddaughter
- McKenzie Auman, Great Granddaughter
- Lyndsay (Drew Likins) Modie, Granddaughter
- Kalei Likins, Great Granddaughter
- Kelsie Likins, Great Granddaughter
- Courtney (Andrew) Janish, Granddaughter
- Bentley Janish, Great Grandson
- Chase Janish, Great Grandson
- Paul Modie, Son
- Michelle (Dustin) Stout, Granddaughter
- Holly Rook, Granddaughter
- Benjamin Modie, Grandson
- Evan Modie, Great Grandson
- Kenny Modie, Grandson
- Marguerite Borgione, Daughter
- Jessica Borgione, Granddaughter
- Andrew Borgione, Grandson
- Paul Newton Hullinger, Father
- Violet Matilda Hullinger, Mother
- Paul Hullinger, Brother
- American Cancer Association
- Visitation Wednesday, March 7, 2018
- Funeral Servcie Wednesday, March 7, 2018
Violet Louise Modie
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES
Maureen and John Paulett
March 7, 2018
Remembering Louise with fondness and appreciation for her gentle smile and her warmth. Sincere condolences to the Modie family.