Floyd Edward Grider
November 18, 1939 – January 7, 2019
Floyd Edward Grider, 79, of Columbus, passed away at Silver Oaks Health Campus on Monday, January 7, 2019. Floyd was born November 18, 1939, in Scottsburg, Indiana. He was the son of Filmore P. Grider and Agnes Taylor Grider. Floyd was married to his 7th grade sweetheart, Norma Sue Philpot, on June 7, 1959 in Columbus. They were married for 57 years. Norma preceded him in death on May 8, 2017.
Floyd was a great interior decorator for most of his life. He earned numerous state and local awards throughout his distinguished career. He decorated show houses for the St. Margaret's Guild Decorator Show House in Indianapolis, and also owned several of his own interior decorating businesses. He began his interior decorating business at Buchanan & Sons furniture store in Columbus.
Floyd was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on 30th St. in Columbus.
The funeral service will be 1:00 p.m. Friday, January 11, 2019 at Myers-Reed Chapel on 25th St. Visitation is from 12 noon until the time of service. Burial will take place at Garland Brook Cemetery.
Floyd is survived by his brother, Bill (Karen) Grider; nephews, Kevin (Tracey) Grider, Kerry (Patti) Grider, and Chris (Jackie) Grider; niece, Amy (Larry) Thomas; great-nieces, Ashland, Tristan, Addison, Hayden, Ellison, and Courtney, and Amy Rose Grider, and Samantha, Anna, and Audrey Thomas; great-nephews, Eric, Kevin and Shaun Grider; and a great-niece, Kepner Grider. Also surviving are Floyd's extended family, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law, Rev. Larry & Carol McIntosh; nephew, Bruce (Belinda) McIntosh; great-nieces, Lindsey (Steve) Varvel, Tammy (Joey) Pratt; great-great-niece, Norma Ann Jean Varvel; and great-great-nephews, Wesley and Carter Varvel and James Lee Pratt.
Floyd was preceded in death by his wife, parents, and a brother, Philip.
The family is very "thankful" to the church family for all their help through the years of sickness for Floyd and Norma. A big "thank you" especially to Jim Shoaf for all of his help and guidance and Jim's special mother, Elsie Shoaf, and to Silver Oaks Health Campus for all of their excellent care of Floyd.
Myers-Reed Chapel is serving the Grider family.
- Norma Sue Grider, Wife
- William (Wife, Karen) Grider, Brother
- Phillip Grider, Brother
- Carol (Husband, Larry) McIntosh, Sister-in-law
- Kevin (Wife, Tracey) Grider, Nephew
- Kerry (Wife, Patti) Grider, Nephew
- Chris (Jackie) Grider, Nephew
- Amy (Larry) Thomas, Niece
- Ashland Grider, Great-Niece
- Tristan Grider, Great-Niece
- Addison Grider, Great-Niece
- Hayden Grider, Great-Niece
- Ellison Grider, Great-Niece
- Courtney Grider, Great-Niece
- Amy Rose Grider, Great-Niece
- Samantha Thomas, Great-Niece
- Anna Thomas, Great-Niece
- Audrey Thomas, Great-Niece
- Eric Grider, Great-Nephew
- Kevin Grider, Great-Nephew
- Shaun Grider, Great-Nephew
- Kepner Grider, Great-Great-Niece
- Bruce (Belinda) McIntosh, Nephew
- Lindsey (Steve) Varvel, Great-Niece
- Tammy (Joey) Pratt, Great-Niece
- Norma Ann Jean Varvel, Great-Great-Niece
- Wesley Varvel, Great-Great-Nephew
- Carter Varvel, Great-Great-Nephew
- James Lee Pratt, Great-Great-Nephew
- Visitation Friday, January 11, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, January 11, 2019