November 19, 1925 – May 29, 2018
Alice (Frias) Sylvia, 92, of S. Dartmouth passed away Tuesday, May 29, 2018 in her home surrounded by her loving family. She was the beloved wife of John A. Sylvia.
Born in New Bedford, a daughter of the late John C. and Antonina (Rapoza) Frias, Alice was a long-time resident of S. Dartmouth and a communicant of St. Mary’s Church, Dartmouth.
Mrs. Sylvia was an ultimate homemaker. She loved her children and babysitting her grandchildren. Alice also enjoyed crocheting, spending time in her garden tending to vegetables and flowers, cooking, fishing, and country music. Her family’s greatest memories are of her standing in the kitchen cooking and sometimes yodeling surrounded by her children. In addition to her husband, she is survived by her children, John Sylvia, Jr. and his wife Elizabeth, Alice Kopaczewski and her husband Michael, Antone Sylvia and his wife Carol, Jeanne Ferreira and her husband Richard, Joyce Amaral and her husband Michael, Jo-Ann Sylvia and her husband Richard all of Dartmouth, and Amy Medeiros and her husband Michael of Edgewater, FL; siblings Helen Martins and Leonora Carvalho both of Dartmouth; 14 grandchildren; seven great grandchildren; one great great grandchild with one on the way; and many nieces and nephews. She was the sister of the late John Frias, Liduina and Olivia Medeiros, and Frank Frias.
Her funeral will be Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 9 am from the WARING-SULLIVAN at DARTMOUTH, 230 Russells Mills Rd., Dartmouth followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 am in St. Mary’s Church, 783 Dartmouth St., Dartmouth. Burial will follow in South Dartmouth Cemetery. Visitation will be Friday 5-8 pm. In lieu of flowers, donations in her honor may be made to Easter Seals Massachusetts, 484 Main St., Worcester, MA 01608 or easterseals.com/ma, or Holy Ghost Society, 104 Allens Neck Rd., S. Dartmouth, MA 02748 or Community Nurse Home Care, 62 Center St., Fairhaven, MA 02719. For online tribute/directions www.waring-sullivan.com.
- The late John Costa Frias, Father
- The late Antonina (Rapoza) Frias, Mother
- John Antone Sylvia, Husband
- John Sylvia, Jr. & his wife Elizabeth, Son
- Alice Kopaczewski & her husband Michael, Daughter
- Antone Sylvia & his wife Carol, Son
- Jeanne Ferreira & her husband Richard, Daughter
- Joyce Amaral & her husband Michael, Daughter
- Jo-Ann Sylvia & her husband Richard, Daughter
- Amy Medeiros & her husband Michael, Daughter
- Helen Martins, Sister
- Leonora Carvalho, Sister
- She is also survived by fourteen grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; one great-great-grandchild with one on the way and many nieces and nephews. She was sister of the late John Frias, Liduina and Olivia Medeiros and Frank Frias.
- Visitation Friday, June 1, 2018
- Funeral Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Mass of Christian Burial Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Burial Saturday, June 2, 2018
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
Dolores L Vieira
June 2, 2018
Our deepest sympathies to all of my cousins and their families. I know she will be missed, but her influence and memories will continue to nurture and influence all of you.
I have many wonderful memories, but the one I will share is the holiday night the electricity went out while we were singing there and she asked for more songs while she fed me her bacalhau. Love, Cousin Dolores, Carol & Alice.
June 1, 2018
I am the Gift Shop Manager at Tobey Hospital and I would like to express my deepest sympathy to my friend Joyce and the entire Sylvia family.
You are all in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
June 1, 2018
I have the fondest of memories spending time with your family when I was very young. You are all in my prayers. Richie Rebello
May 31, 2018
Your mom was always soft spoken. She always made you feel welcome in her home.
Was looking forward to helping out with watching them. But never happened.
Hope your dad will be ok during this sad time.
Many blessings to your family
May your mom Rest in peace.