Larry D. Takkunen
December 1, 1945 – April 7, 2018
Larry Dennis Takkunen, 72, of Cloquet passed away peacefully on April 7, 2018 after a long, courageous battle with cancer. Larry was born December 1, 1945 to Wilmer and Florence (Hautajarvi) Takkunen in Carlton, MN.
Larry grew up in Kettle River where he attended elementary school, graduating from Moose Lake High School in 1963. After graduation he attended Salter Vocational studying autobody, graduating in 1965. He worked for various shops and auto dealers for 37 years. In 1999 he attended Lake Superior College and graduated as a Certified Nursing Assistant, working for 2 years at the Benedictine Health Center. Larry enjoyed playing music, golfing, bowling and making projects from birch wood. He was a former youth coach for baseball, basketball and bowling.
He married his high school sweetheart, Diane Warloe, on September 24, 1966. They enjoyed traveling, camping, and spending time with their loving family and friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Leonard; sister, Dianne Mealer; and niece, Rebecca Takkunen.
Larry will be greatly missed by his wife of 51 years, Diane; children, Robert (Amy), Lance, Jason (Danielle), and his eight wonderful grandchildren, granddaughters, Hannali, Marissa, (David) Kohl, Alexandra (Abram) Isola, Andie, and Vivien; grandsons, Gavin, Wyatt, and Calvin; brothers, Lyle (Judy), and Curtis (Fiancée, Laura Newton); sister-in-law’s, Judy Takkunen, Debbie Seppanen, and Faye Radel; and a host of beautiful friends, relatives, brothers and sisters in faith.
Visitation: 5:00-8:00 p.m. Thursday, April 12, 2018 at the Independent Apostolic Lutheran Church, 6273 Highway 2, Duluth. The visitation will continue from 12:00 noon until the 1:00 p.m. Funeral Service Friday, April 13, 2018 at the church. Interment will be in the church cemetery.
Please leave a memory of Larry or words of support for the family at www.bellbrothersfuneralhome.com
- Diane Takkunen, Wife
- Robert (Amy) Takkunen, Son
- Lance Takkunen, Son
- Jason (Danielle) Takkunen, Son
- Lyle (Judy) Takkunen, Brother
- Curtis (Fiancee, Laura Newton) Takkunen, Brother
- Judy Takkunen, Sister-in-law
- Debbie Seppanen, Sister-in-law
- Faye Radel, Sister-in-law
- Larry is also survived by his eight wonderful grandchildren, granddaughters Hannali, Marissa, (David) Kohl, Alexandra (Abram) Isola, Andie, and Vivien; grandsons, Gavin, Wyatt, and Calvin; and a host of beautiful friends, relatives, brothers and sisters in faith.
- Gavin Takkunen, Active Pallbearer
- Wyatt Takkunen, Active Pallbearer
- Bradley Takkunen, Active Pallbearer
- Russell Isola, Active Pallbearer
- P.D. Johnson, Active Pallbearer
- Phil Lind, Active Pallbearer
- Calvin Takkunen, Honorary Pallbearer
- Visitation Thursday, April 12, 2018
- Visitation Friday, April 13, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, April 13, 2018
Larry D. Takkunen
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES
April 13, 2018
Dear Diane and Family, I am so sorry to hear of Larry's passing. Please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers during this sad and difficult time. Larry was a great and special man, he will be so missed by all who knew and loved him. I always enjoyed seeing and visiting with you, you were so nice to me. May the love and support of family and friends help ease your sorrow and help you through this. He is at peace now. And I know you all have wonderful memories to keep close to your heart, so he will always be close.
With My Deepest Sympathy
April 12, 2018
So sorry to hear this Larry was a great person I remember the Little League days. Kenwood was a great neighborhood. My condolences to you all
April 11, 2018
We will miss Larry so much. Our bowling team has a large gap to fill.He was the rock on our team. Great guy and a great bowler, good friend.
April 11, 2018
Dear Diane and family,Please accept our sincere condolences at Larry's passing.We met Larry when his group played at our home at Gramercy Park Co-operative in Duluth.We last saw Larry at family traditions in Cloquet and he told us he was doctoring for cancer.We have you all in our prayers.Grant and Marge Hayes