Edith West Smith
July 5, 1922 – December 10, 2018
Edith West Smith, 96, of Erwin, passed away on Monday, December 10, 2018 at Cornerstone Nursing and Rehab. She was born on July 5, 1922 in Harnett County, to the late Sion Cephus West and the late Christian Ann Black West. In addition to her parents she is preceded in death by her daughter: Rebecca Blackmon Ruiz; brother: L.D. Black; sisters: Ruby Dell West, Louetta West and Janie Christian West. Edith was a gifted singer and songwriter. She was a published poet. Most of all, Edith will be remembered for the way she loved her family. She was a faithful Christian who loved the Lord with all her heart.
Edith leaves behind to honor her legacy, her granddaughter: Rhonda Blackmon and husband James Benjamin Clark of Linden; grandsons: Kenneth Cecil Blackmon and wife Malinda of Linden and Keith Randall Blackmon of Linden; great-grandchildren: Benjamin Kenneth Clark, Jacob Cecil Blackmon, Jerry Randall Blackmon and Ashlin Arlene Blackmon; and a host of nieces, nephews, family and friends, including a dear friend of the family Larry Ray Hair.
A funeral service to commemorate the life of Edith West Smith will be conducted at 2:00 PM on Thursday, December 13, 2018 in the sanctuary of Palestine Presbyterian Church, 8081 Ramsey Street, Linden, North Carolina 28356 with Rev. Donald Fischer officiating. The family will receive friends on Thursday from 1:15 PM until the funeral hour at the church. She will be laid to rest in Palestine Church Cemetery with Kenneth Blackmon, Marty Blackmon, Jacob Blackmon, Randall Blackmon, David Lee Akins and Larry Ray Hair serving as pallbearers.
The family would like to express their heartfelt gratitude to the entire staff of Cornerstone Nursing and Rehab for their care and support.
All arrangements are entrusted to Cromartie-Miller Funeral Home. Online condolences may be expressed at www.cromartiemiller.com
- Sion Cephus West, Father
- Christian Ann Black West, Mother
- Rebecca Blackmon Ruiz, Daughter
- L.D. Black, Brother
- Ruby Dell West, Sister
- Louetta West, Sister
- Janie Christian West, Sister
- Rhonda Blackmon and husband James Benjamin Clark, Granddaughter
- Kenneth Cecil Blackmon and wife Malinda, Grandson
- Keith Randall Blackmon, Grandson
- Benjamin Kenneth Clark, Great Grandson
- Jacob Cecil Blackmon, Great Grandson
- Jerry Randall Blackmon, Great Grandson
- Ashlin Arlene Blackmon, Great Granddaughter
- Larry Ray Hair, Family Friend
- Kenneth Blackmon, Sr.
- Marty Blackmon
- Jacob Blackmon
- Randall Blackmon
- David Lee Akins
- Larry Ray Hair
- Receiving Of Friends Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Funeral Service Thursday, December 13, 2018