Kay Hodge Harmon
January 20, 1949 – January 6, 2019
After a long battle with COPD, Kay Harmon, of Concord, NC, passed away Sunday morning, January 6, 2019, at Tucker Hospice House in Kannapolis, surrounded by her loving family. She was 69 years old.
Born on January 20, 1949, in Charlotte, NC, Kay was the daughter of the late James and Mattie Hodge. She married the love of her life at the age of 17 and had her three children by the age of 23. Family was the most important part of Kay’s life. She worked in the school cafeteria while her children were young then held numerous jobs which allowed her to care for her family. With children now grown, she and her beloved sister, Gail, spent much of their time scavenging for treasures at yard sales and caring for grandchildren. In recent years, she experienced adventures like never before by zip-lining, jumping off rocks into the water at Carrigan Farms Quarry and the Water Blob. She enjoyed numerous other activities while attending Victory Junction Camp and Camp Thunderbird with her grandchildren. She truly found a zest for life in the last few years and took advantage of spending as much time with and doing as many things as possible with her children and grandchildren.
Kay will be lovingly remembered by her children, Cindy Cornett of Concord, NC, Donna Oxford of Matthews, NC and Wayne (Veronica) Harmon of Concord, NC. She will be forever remembered by her grandchildren, Kayla and Ethan Cornett, Carson Oxford and Taylor Harmon; and her honorary grandchildren, Ashley Pettus, Chris Illiano, Markayla McInnis and Kaitlin Murphy. She will also certainly be missed by numerous nieces and nephews as well as her Crescent Heights Family. Kay will be joining her beloved sister and five brothers in heaven as well.
Friends are cordially invited to a visitation with the family from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm Thursday, January 10, at McEwen Funeral Service, Mint Hill Chapel, 7428 Matthews-Mint Hill Road in Mint Hill. A funeral service will be held 11:00 am Friday, January 11, in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. Floyd Boston officiating. Interment will be in Evergreen Burial Park.
Flowers always added joy to Kay’s life, therefore remembrances may be made with flowers or donations to Hospice and Palliative Care of Cabarrus County, 5003 Hospice Lane, Kannapolis, NC 28081 or Victory Junction, 4500 Adams Way, Randleman, NC 27317.
- James Hodge, Father
- Mattie Hodge, Mother
- Cindy Cornett, Daughter
- Donna Oxford, Daughter
- Wayne Harmon and wife, Veronica, Son
- Kayla Cornett, Grandchild
- Ethan Cornett, Grandchild
- Carson Oxford, Grandchild
- Taylor Harmon, Grandchild
- Ashley Pettus, Honorary Grandchild
- Chris Illiano, Honorary Grandchild
- Markayla McInnis, Honorary Grandchild
- Kaitlin Murphy, Honorary Grandchild
- Mrs. Harmon will also certainly be missed by numerous nieces and nephews, as well as her Crescent Heights Family. Kay will be joining her beloved sister and five brothers in heaven as well.
- Patrick Alexander, Active Pallbearer
- Mike Boston, Active Pallbearer
- Wil Boston, Active Pallbearer
- Shaun Cornett, Active Pallbearer
- Jeff Hodge, Active Pallbearer
- Mark Holston, Active Pallbearer
- Austin Schill, Active Pallbearer
- Jody Schill, Active Pallbearer
- Mike Upchurch, Honorary Pallbearer
Hospice and Palliative Care of Cabarrus County
5003 Hospice Lane, Kannapolis, North Carolina 28081
4500 Adams Way, Randleman, North Carolina 27317
- Visitation Thursday, January 10, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, January 11, 2019
Kay Hodge Harmon
January 10, 2019
I have very fond memories of summers spent at her pool, and various family functions that my daughter and I were always invited to. Kay always made us us feel part of the family. She was a hard working , Godly woman.
January 9, 2019
Kay I love you so much. You was a great friend. I never forget the times we had together like going around to the goodwill stores. I will miss you a lot. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.
January 8, 2019
Sorry to hear of your loss. Praying for the family.