Nancy Irby Newsom
March 14, 1952 – July 29, 2018
Nancy Irby Newsom, age 66, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., died July 29, 2018 at her home. Services will be 12 noon Wednesday, August 1, 2018, at Sunset Funeral Home with Ben Talmadge officiating. Burial will follow in Sunset Memorial Park with Sunset Funeral Home, a Dignity Memorial Provider, directing. Visitation will be two hours prior to services at the funeral home.
She was preceded in death by her mother, Ellen Graves Beard; father, William Cannon Irby; and sister, Martha Caroline Irby.
Survivors include her husband, Barry Douglas Newsom of Tuscaloosa, Ala.; daughters, Lori Anne Newsom, Memphis, Tenn., Julia Caroline Martin (Josh) of Dothan, Ala. and Ellen Brown Newsom of Tuscaloosa, Ala.; son, Jonathan David Newsom of Mobile, Ala.; sister, Julia Irby Thomas of Dadeville, Ala.; and grandchildren, Silas Andrew Martin, Lia Grace Martin, Ava Caroline Martin, Kate Ryleigh Martin and Seth Thomas Martin.
Nancy grew up in Opelika, Ala. and attended Opelika High School. She graduated from UAB with a master's degree in nursing. She worked as a pediatric nurse practitioner and taught nursing at the University of Mississippi. She married Barry Newsom and had four children. She loved teaching her children and homeschooled them through high school. She served in the community through Character First!, after school programs, Grace Church, and worldwide on various mission trips. She loved Jesus and spent her life honoring Him.
Pallbearers will be Jon Newsom, Steve Thomas, Josh Martin, Lee Newsom, Jason Bruner and Kevin Watts.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Sav-A-Life Tuscaloosa, 535 Jack Warner Parkway NE #G1, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404.
- Ellen Graves Beard, Mother Deceased
- William Cannon Irby, Father Deceased
- Martha Caroline Irby, Sister Deceased
- Barry Douglas Newsom, Husband
- Lori Anne Newsom, Julia Caroline Martin (Josh) and Ellen Brown Newsom, Daughters
- Jonathan David Newsom, Son
- Julia Irby Thomas, Sister
- Grandchildren, Silas Andrew Martin, Lia Grace Martin, Ava Caroline Martin, Kate Ryleigh Martin and Seth Thomas Martin.
- Family Will Receive Friends With Reception Wednesday, August 1, 2018
- Life Celebration Service Wednesday, August 1, 2018
Nancy Irby Newsom
July 31, 2018
Barry, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We have many special memories of you and your family and are so sorry for your loss. George and Sara Parker (Papa George and Mama Sara)
Dale and his family send their condolences also.