March 12, 1924 – November 7, 2018
Our precious mother and grandmother, Helen Fern Hill Allison, died on November 7, 2018. She took her last breaths as a piano solo of “There is Beauty All Around” played. This seemed so tender for a woman who found beauty in all things and in all people. She was born March 12, 1924 to Lester and Pearl Frost Hill. She grew up in Ogden, graduated from Ogden High School, and attended Weber College.
She was a kind, sweet, graceful lady. Music has always been a part of her life, and at the age of five, she found her first love, the piano. She was a gifted pianist, who studied at the McCune School of Music in Salt Lake City, and with Professor Giles at the University of Utah. She was a talented composer, and taught piano for over 50 years and loved every minute of it. At the age of 94, she still taught two students which was such a joy to her. She was a voracious reader of all types of books. She loved poetry and wrote beautiful poems, many of which have been published. She created heartfelt short stories, and was delighted when some of them were also published. Until recently, she thoroughly enjoyed both learning and teaching in her writing class at the senior citizens center.
On December 21, 1943, she married Roger Blaine Allison, Jr. and they had 67 great years together. They loved and cared for each other in a tender, remarkable way. They enjoyed working in their yard and gardens, which were always beautifully kept. They loved nature, hiking, exploring and traveling in their motor home. She was a loyal Utah Jazz fan!
Her happiest times were spent with her family. She leaves behind four children who adore her: Linda Kirby (Mike – deceased), Scott Allison (Emily), Janet Thomas (Craig), and Brent Allison (Cantor Sarah Lipsett-Allison, of blessed memory); 15 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren, and 11 great-great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, her daughter, Joan, and her granddaughter, Leisha. She is also survived by Joan’s husband, Steve Newton, and his wife Colleen, both of whom she loved as her own.
To know her is to love her.
A visitation with family will be held Monday, November 12, 2018 at 9:30 AM with the funeral to follow at 11 am at Wasatch Lawn Mortuary, 3401 S. Highland Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84106. Interment will be at Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park.
- Linda (Mike-deceased) Kirby, Daughter
- Scott (Emily) Allison, Son
- Janet (Craig) Thomas, Daughter
- Brent (Sarah- deceased) Allison, Son
- Steve (Colleen) Newton, Son-in-law
- Helen also leaves behind 15 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren and 11 great-great-grandchildren who will cherish her memory.
- Craig Thomas, Pallbearer
- Brad Lifferth, Pallbearer
- Ryan Newton, Pallbearer
- Johnny Etchemendy, Pallbearer
- Greg Allison, Pallbearer
- Tim Allison, Pallbearer
- Doug Kirby, Pallbearer
- Brian Kirby, Pallbearer
- Cody Newton, Honorary Pallbearer
- Brooks Barker, Honorary Pallbearer
- Henry Barker, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jeffrey Etchemendy, Honorary Pallbearer
- Nathanael Goeckeritz, Honorary Pallbearer
- Max Goeckeritz, Honorary Pallbearer
- Justin Goeckeritz, Honorary Pallbearer
- Barrett Lifferth, Honorary Pallbearer
- Joshua Brown, Honorary Pallbearer
- Colton Kirby, Honorary Pallbearer
- Mathew Kirby, Honorary Pallbearer
- Tanner Kirby, Honorary Pallbearer
- Toby Kirby, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jordan Newton, Honorary Pallbearer
- Viewing Prior to Funeral Service Monday, November 12, 2018
- Funeral Services Monday, November 12, 2018
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY