Robert Melvin Nelson
6 February, 1930 – 3 September, 2021
Robert Melvin Nelson, 91, passed away on Friday, September 3, 2021. He was born on February 6, 1930 in Rossville, IL to the late John C. Nelson and Anna Christiansen Nelson
Robert served his country in the Air Force as a as a lieutenant colonel for 20 years from October 14, 1953 and retiring honorably on January 31, 1973. He received his undergraduate degree in Special Education from Illinois State in 1952 and later earned his master’s degree from Georgetown University. Robert retired to North Carolina in 1973, where he and Joyce started a family business, Nelson Greenhouses.
Robert is preceded in death by his parents; John C. Nelson and Anna Christiansen Nelson; his two brothers, Carl Nelson and Howard Nelson; and his sisters Catherine Fagner, Martha Custer, Bertha Marshall and Anna Mae McCumber.
Robert is survived by the love of his life and wife of 68 years, Joyce Rhen Nelson; his son Ronald Melvin Nelson; his three granddaughters Ronnie Marie Nelson, Melissa Nelson-Cowan and Claire Anna-Joy Nelson; his three great grandchildren, Connor Nicholas Nelson, Garret Michael Cowan and Autumn Willow Cowan; and his sister Viola Morris.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Robert’s name to Alcoholics Home Inc. in Jamestown, NC. or St. Jude Children’s Hospital.
A graveside service for Robert will be on Wednesday, November 3, 2021 at 11:00am at Floral Garden Memorial Park.
Online condolences for the family may be made at www.sechrestdavisphillipsavenue.com
- John C. & Anna Christiansen Nelson, Parents (deceased)
- Joyce Rhen Nelson, Wife
- Ronald Melvin Nelson, Son
- Ronnie Marie Nelson, Granddaughter
- Melissa Nelson-Cowan, Granddaughter
- Claire Anna-Joy Nelson, Granddaughter
- Autumn Willow Cowan, Great Granddaughter
- Connor Nicholas Nelson, Great Grandson
- Garret Michael Cowan, Great Grandson
- Viola Morris, Sister
- Catherine Fagner, Sister (deceased)
- Martha Custer, Sister (deceased)
- Bertha Marshall, Sister (deceased)
- Anna Mae McCumber, Sister (deceased)
- Carl Nelson, Brother (deceased)
- Howard Nelson, Brother (deceased)
- Alcoholics Home Inc.
- St. Jude Children's Hospital
Wednesday, 3 November , 2021
Robert Melvin Nelson
1 November 2021
Remembering wonderful praise and worship services with Bob and Joyce and the Tester family in Jamestown, and sending love and prayers. There is rejoicing in Heaven to receive another saint!