Robert Julius Mauney
29 May, 1924 – 8 September, 2019
Robert Julius Mauney, 95, went home to be with the Lord on Sunday September 8, 2019.
Robert was the barber in Stanley during the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. He was kind and loved animals, especially his dogs. Robert proudly served the country in the United States Army in World War II. Robert was also a mason. Robert will be dearly missed by all that knew and loved him.
Robert is the son of the late Minnie (Loftin) and Ervin Mauney. He is preceded in death by his first wife Zoe Staton and wife Virginia (Kirkland) Mauney. His siblings Ruby (Mauney) Hovis and infant brother Raymond Mauney also preceded him in death.
Robert leaves behind his brother Ralph William Mauney and wife Billie Jean. Also grieving the loss of Robert are his step-son James Costner and wife Patti and their daughter Kristin Dobson. A niece Cathey (Mauney) Eden and husband Harvey and a nephew Mike Mauney and wife Barbara are also grieving the loss of Robert. A great niece Michelle (Mauney) Lowery and husband Rev. Jonathan Lowery and their daughter, great-great niece, Hannah Lowery are also fondly remembering Uncle Robert.
A celebration of Robert’s life will be held at 2:00 PM on Thursday September 12, 2019 at Carothers Funeral Home, 412 S. Main Street, Stanley. The family will receive friends from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM before the service. Burial, with full military honors accorded by the United States Army and Gaston County Honor Guard, will follow the service at Hillcrest Gardens, 1508 Charles Raper Jonas Highway, Mt. Holly. Reverend Ivan Davis, chaplain at Stanley Total Living Center, will officiate the services.
The family asks that in lieu of flowers that contributions in Robert’s name be made to the Gaston Humane Society, P.O. Box 2334, Gastonia, NC 28054.
Condolences to the family and fond memories of Robert can be left at www.carothersfuneralhomestanley.com.
The staff at Carothers Funeral Home in Stanley is honored to serve the Mauney family.
- Minnie (Loftin) Mauney, Mother (deceased)
- Ervin Mauney, Father (deceased)
- Zoe Staton, First Wife (deceased)
- Virginia (Kirkland) Mauney, Wife (deceased)
- Ruby (Mauney) Hovis, Sister (deceased)
- Raymond Mauney, Infant Brother (deceased)
- Ralph William Mauney and wife Billie Jean, Brother
- James Costner and wife Patti, Step-son
- Kristin Dobson, Step-granddaughter
- Cathey (Mauney) Eden and husband Harvey, Niece
- Mike Mauney and wife Barbara, Nephew
- Michelle (Mauney) Lowery and husband Rev. Jonathan Lowery, Great-niece
- Hannah Lowery, Great-great niece
Gaston Humane Society
P.O. Box 2334, Gastonia, North Carolina 28054
- Receiving of Friends Thursday, 12 September , 2019
- Celebration of Life Service Thursday, 12 September , 2019
- Committal Service with Military Honors Thursday, 12 September , 2019
Robert Julius Mauney
11 September 2019
As young boy I always enjoyed working for uncle Robert in the barbershop. On Mondays and Thursdays I would go in before school, at 6:00 AM, and sweep, mop, fill up the drink machine. On Saturdays I was the shoe shine boy. I would also place clean towels, wash rags, and soap in the shower. I never saw uncle Robert smoke a cigar but he always had on in his mouth, chewing on it, while he cut hair. I still have the NuGrape Clock that hung in the barber shop, over the dink machine, during the 50's and 60's. I look forward to seeing uncle Robert again along with mamaw, papaw, aunt ruby and meeting uncle Raymond. ………..Mike Mauney