October 27, 1925 – April 24, 2021
Edith Iline (nee Umfress) Scoby, of Arnold, Missouri passed away, April 24, 2021, at the age of 95 years, 5 months and 28 days old. Edith was born near Red Bay, Alabama to James W. and Audie M. (nee Hardy) Umfress, on October 27, 1925.
On May 16, 1953 Edith married John T. Scoby in Piggot, Arkansas and they blended their families together. Edith and John celebrated over 60 years of marriage before John passed away on January 21, 2014.
As a young woman, Edith worked in the cotton fields of Missouri, Mississippi and Tennessee, later becoming a sewing machine operator in Alabama and St. Louis. Edith enjoyed traveling, gardening, sewing, quilting, crocheting, talking about her childhood in Alabama and would travel to the old west when reading western books. Edith and John enjoyed many years of square dancing in the St. Louis area. In 1989 they united with the Arnold United Baptist Church where they enjoyed the Christian fellowship.
Edith was preceded in death by her parents; her husband; a son, Thomas W. Scoby; a daughter, B. Jean Medlin; two brothers, R.C. Umfress and R.B. Umfress; two sisters, Eula M. Pace and E. Lorene Taylor; two grandsons, Ricky Wright and Jeffery Medlin; and one great great grandson, Kason Laws.
Edith is survived by their children, Jim (Teresa) Wright of Arnold, Missouri, Margie Hess of St. Louis, Missouri, Mary Roberts of Rolla, Missouri, and Bob (Betsy) Scoby of Conway, Missouri, son-in-law, Donald Medlin of Clever, Missouri. Twelve grandchildren, John Lauth, Debra Broeker, Sue (Troy) DuBose, Sharon (Mark) Behrens, Shelly (Mike) Sessums, Stacy (David) Laws, Lorri (Jesse) Erwin, Chris (Danielle) Gherardini, Steve (B.J.) Scoby, Anita Nickle, Tim Medlin, and Allie Wright. Edith has 19 great grandchildren, 9 great great grandchildren several nieces, nephews and church friends.
SERVICES: Visitation 5pm-7pm Thursday, April 29, 2021 at Heiligtag-Lang-Fendler Funeral Home. Funeral service 10am Arnold United Baptist Church followed by burial in Shepherd Hills Cemetery.
- James W. Umfress, Father (deceased)
- Audie M. (Hardy) Umfress, Mother (deceased)
- John T. Scoby, Husband (deceased)
- Jim (Teresa) Wright, Son
- Ricky Wright, Grandchild (deceased)
- Sharon (Mark) Behrens, Grandchild
- Allie Wright, Grandchild
- Margie Hess, Daughter
- John Lauth, Grandchild
- Debra Broeker, Grandchild
- Sue (Troy) DuBose, Grandchild
- Thomas W. Scoby, Son (deceased)
- B. Jean Medlin, Daughter (deceased)
- Donald Medlin, Son-in-law
- Shelly (Mike) Sessums, Grandchild
- Lorri (Jesse) Erwin, Grandchild
- Jeffery Medlin, Grandchild (deceased)
- Tim Medlin, Grandchild
- Anita Nickle, Grandchild
- Mary Roberts, Daughter
- Chris (Danielle) Gherardini, Grandchild
- Stacy (David) Laws, Grandchild
- Bob (Betsy) Scoby, Son
- Steve (B.J.) Scoby, Grandchild
- R.C. Umfress, Brother (deceased)
- Eula M. Pace, Sister (deceased)
- R.B. Umfress, Brother (deceased)
- E. Lorene Taylor, Sister (deceased)
- Edith was the great-grandmother of 19 and great-great-grandmother of 10.
- Chris Gherardini
- Tim Medlin
- Michael Brown
- John Lauth
- Joe Zamudio
- Steve Scoby
- Arnold United Baptist Church
Thursday, April 29, 2021
Friday, April 30, 2021
April 26, 2021
Grandma I miss you so much, it's been a tough year for our family, losing my aunt on Dad's side, my brother in law, mom (Billie Jean scoby) has been the hardest for me, uncle tip and you , but I am so greatful you were and always will be my grandma, so tell everyone up there I love and miss them so much, especially mom, I'll never forget the times we had together and going square dancing with you and Grandpa always will be in my heart