Ernestine Allport Sasser
August 27, 1930 – February 9, 2020
Mary Ernestine Allport Sasser, 89 of Montpelier, "got her wings" and went to be with the Lord on February 9, 2020.
She was preceded in death by her father Aubrey Ernest Allport and her mother, Elizabeth Blackburn Allport.
Ernestine was an active member of the First Baptist Church of Ashland where she taught Sunday School in the Fidelis Class for many years and also served as a weekly volunteer in the library. She was a graduate of Westhampton College (University of Richmond) majoring in Bible, minoring in Spanish. She was second place gymnast her sophomore year. An artist who enjoyed painting portraits and landscapes, her artwork was featured at the Montpelier Center for the Arts. She enjoyed traveling to Europe, especially to England to trace her family ancestry. Most importantly, she is remembered for her strong faith and for being a prayer warrior for her loved ones.
Ernestine is survived by her beloved friend John William Attkisson, her children, Jane Katherine Sasser; Juanita Sasser McHale (Joseph); Frank Matthews Sasser III (Renee'); Mary Allport Sasser Repcheck (Randy); grandchildren, Jennifer Sasser Nonnemacker (Joseph); William Rudolph Tabor III; Matthew Allport Sasser; Mitchell Pryor Sasser; Anna Marian Repcheck; great-grandson Nathan David Grounds; cousin Carolyn Shuman Gwinn (Bobby); nieces and nephews.
The family will receive friends from 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 13, 2020, at Nelsen Funeral Home, 412 S. Washington Hwy, Ashland 23005, where a celebration of life will be held at 1:00 p.m. on February 14, 2020.
- John William Attkisson, Beloved Friend
- Jane Katherine Sasser, Daughter
- Juanita Saser McHale (Joseph), Daughter
- Frank Matthews Sasser III (Renée), Son
- Mary Allport Sasser Repcheck (Randy), Daughter
- Jennifer Sasser Nonnemacker (Joseph), Granddaughter
- William Rudolph Tabor III, Grandson
- Matthew Allport Sasser, Grandson
- Mitchell Pryor Sasser, Grandson
- Anna Marian Repcheck, Granddaughter
- Nathan David Grounds, Great Grandson
- Carolyn Shuman Gwinn (Bobby), Cousin
- Aubrey Ernest Allport, Father (deceased)
- Elizabeth Blackburn Allport, Mother (deceased)
- Nieces and nephews
- Visitation Thursday, February 13, 2020
- Funeral Service Friday, February 14, 2020
- Interment Friday, February 14, 2020
Ernestine Allport Sasser
February 14, 2020
Ernestine and family were once members of my church in Richmond. When I lived there and was in high school, I babysat all four children so she could go out with her husband. Lovely family and children were always great to be with. My sympathy goes out to them and other family and friends at this time. God bless and keep you all strong as time moves forward. I know she will be missed.
February 10, 2020
Ernestine will be greatly missed. I have so many fond memories. She was always caring and concerned.