Edgar "Ed" G. Burton
December 19, 1933 – July 3, 2018
Edgar “Ed” G. Burton, 84, of Bellevue, Illinois, passed away Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at OSF St. Francis Hospital.
He was born on December 19, 1933 in Colchester, Illinois to Frank and Grace (Rapelje) Burton. He married Lameta Monk on June 15, 1960. She preceded him in death. He later married L. Virginia Bitner on September 20, 1980 in Peoria. She preceded him in death on October 12, 2009.
He is survived by six children, Theresa (Russ) Johnson of Hanna City, Illinois, Lisa (Todd) Nutt of Louisville, Kentucky, Scott Schafer of Peoria, Illinois, Mary (Chuck) Melton of East Peoria, Illinois, Brian (Pam) Burton of Mapleton, Illinois and Duane (Leslie) Burton of Farmington, Illinois; one foster daughter, Sherry Blakely of Louisville, Kentucky;16 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren survive. He was preceded in death by his wives, one grandson and several brothers and sisters.
Ed worked 22 years at Broderick and Bascom Rope Company and later as a custodian at Oak Grove School for 8 years, retiring in 1997. He was an Air Force Veteran serving from 1952 to 1956.
Cremation rites have been accorded. A celebration of life will be held Monday, July 9, 2018 from 4pm until 7pm at the American Legion Post 979 in Bartonville. Inurnment will be in the Smithville Cemetery in Smithville.
The Davison Fulton Bartonville Chapel is handling arrangements. Memorials may be made to the Wounded Warriors Foundation. You may create an online condolence at www.davison-fultonbartonvillechapel.com.
- Frank Burton, Father
- Grace (Rapelje) Burton, Mother
- Lameta (Monk) Burton, First Wife
- L. Virginia (Bitner) Burton, Wife
- Theresa and Russ Johnson, Daughter
- Lisa and Todd Nutt, Daughter
- Scott Schafer, Son
- Mary and Chuck Melton, Daughter
- Brian and Pam Burton, Son
- Duane and Leslie Burton, Son
- Sherry Blakely, Foster Daughter
- ~ 16 Grandchildren
- ~ 15 Great Grandchildren
- Ed was preceded in death by his wives; one grandson; and several brothers and sisters.
- the Wounded Warriors Foundation
- Celebration of Life Monday, July 9, 2018