Velma Newman Light
May 2, 1922 – February 22, 2019
Velma Newman Light, age 96, of Bassett, died Friday, February 22, 2019, in Martinsville. Born May 2, 1922, in Patrick County, she was a daughter of the late Elzie Matt Newman and Victoria Crews Newman. She was also preceded in death by her husband of 61 years, William Russell Light Sr., her sister Vera Vaughn and her brother Guy Newman, an infant sister and brother, son-in-law Jim Stone, and a grandson Kevin Light. She was the oldest living member of First Baptist Church of Bassett. Surviving are her daughter, Frances Stone of Bassett, her sons Monroe Light (Novellia), Walter Light (Jean), and William R. (Junior) Light (Becky Odell), all of Bassett, 5 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren, 11 great-great-grandchildren, and special niece Kay Hudson. The family would like say a special thank you to her caretaker Rosa Miles. The funeral service will be held at 1 P.M. Monday, February 25, 2019, at First Baptist Church of Bassett with Pastor Lew Bennett officiating. Interment will follow in the Foley Family Cemetery, on Pole Bridge Rd, Stuart, VA. The family will receive friends from 12 to 1 P.M. prior to the service, and at other times at the home of Walter Light, 139 Holloway Dr., Bassett. Memorial contributions may be made to the World Changers Trip of First Baptist Church of Bassett, P.O. Box 557, Bassett, VA. Arrangements are by Collins Funeral Home, Bassett.
- Victoria Crews Newman, Mother
- Elzie Matt Newman, Father
- William Russell Light Sr., Husband
- Frances Stone, Daughter
- Jim Stone, Son-in-law
- Monroe Light, Son
- Novellia Light, Daughter-in-law
- Walter Light, Son
- Jean Light, Daughter-in-law
- William R. Light, Son
- Becky Odell, Daughter-in-law
- Kevin Light, Grandson
- Velma also leaves behind 5 grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren and 11 great-great-grandchildren to cherish her memories.
- Keith Light, Active Pallbearer
- Glen Light, Active Pallbearer
- Eddie Light, Active Pallbearer
- Zack Light, Active Pallbearer
- Jonathan Light, Active Pallbearer
- Doug Stone, Active Pallbearer
- Gary Koger, Active Pallbearer
- Brandon Light, Active Pallbearer
- Visitation Monday, February 25, 2019
- Funeral Service Monday, February 25, 2019
Velma Newman Light
March 3, 2019
Aunt Vammie, You will always be in my heart and memories. I will miss your smile and sweet words . You made me feel like family from the moment I met you . I will miss hearing our voice when I used to call you on your Birthday or Christmas and you always said " Judy? my Judy" and we talked as if we were not miles and years apart from sitting in your house visiting. Love you and someday we will get to talk again in a beautiful place.
February 26, 2019
Condolences from the family of Calvin D. Martin deceased, Geveva, Jerry, Allen, Sharon, Barry and Neal Martin. Prayers for Gods blessings and comfort.