Barbara Jean Perkins
December 26, 1936 – January 31, 2019
Barbara Jean Perkins, age 82, passed away peacefully on January 31, 2019 surrounded by her family. She was born December 26, 1936 in Pine Prairie, Walker County, Texas to Marvin Lee and Thalia Lee Porter Deason. Barbara attended Cedar Bayou High School but graduated from Robert E. Lee High School in 1955 after the consolidation of the school districts in 1954. While in high school she worked at the Brunson Theater. She worked at Bremer’s Mimeograph Shop for many years.
On February 17, 1956, she married Norman E. Perkins of Baytown and shared her life with him for almost 63 years. Together they raised three children. Barbara was a homemaker who loved baking cookies and collecting cookie cutters. She loved music and playing her piano. In her spare time she enjoyed reading, cross-stitch, playing dominoes and especially spending time with her family. She was a long time member of Tex-LA Bluebonnets 4-Cs (Cookie Cutter Collectors Club) and the National Cookie Cutter Collectors Club.
Barbara was preceded in death by her parents. She is survived by husband, Norman; daughter Sharon Van Tuyl and husband Mark of Boise, Idaho; son David Perkins and wife Diane of Baytown; daughter Martha Chestnut and husband David of Baytown. Granddaughters, Cathrine (Katie) Lovejoy; Jennifer (Jenny) LeDay and husband Corey; Stephanie Weston and husband Cortland; Stacy Hardin and husband Wil; Michelle Chestnut. Adopted grandson Eric Van Tuyl and wife Sopha. Nine great-grandchildren – Xoe LeDay, Xavier LeDay, Emma Lovejoy, Clayton Van Tuyl, Wyatt Lovejoy, Jacob Van Tuyl, Reghan Kelley, Cole Weston and Preston Kelley. One great-great-grandson, Damien LeDay. She is also survived by her sister, Ruth Phillips of Baytown; brother in law, Clifford Perkins and wife Minnie of Katy; nieces Julie Fallin and Thalia Kurdt; and many more extended family members and close friends.
Visitation will be held from 5-7 p.m., Tuesday, February 5, 2019, at Navarre Funeral Home, 2444 Rollingbrook Dr., Baytown, Texas 77521. The funeral service will be held at 10:00 a.m., Wednesday, February 6, 2019, at Navarre Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow at Sterling White Cemetery, 11011 Crosby Lynchburg Rd., Highlands, Texas 77562.
Memorial donations may be made to the organization or charity of choice.
- Marvin Lee Thalia Lee Porter Deason, Parents Deceased
- Norman E. Perkins, Husband
- Sharon Van Tuyl and husband Mark, Daughter
- David Perkins and wife Diane, Son
- Martha Chestnut and husband David, Daughter
- Cathrine (Katie) Lovejoy; Jennifer (Jenny) LeDay and husband Corey ; Stephanie Weston and husband Cortland; Stacy Hardin and husband Wil; Michelle Chestnut, Granddaughters
- Eric Van Tuyl and wife Sopha, Adopted Grandson
- Xoe LeDay, Xavier LeDay, Emma Lovejoy, Clayton Van Tuyl, Wyatt Lovejoy, Jacob Van Tuyl, Reghan Kelley, Cole Weston and Preston Kelley, Nine Great-Grandchildren
- Damien LeDay, Great-great-grandson
- Ruth Phillips, Sister
- Clifford Perkins and wife Minnie, Brother-in-law
- Julie Fallin and Thalia Kurdt, Nieces
- and many more extended family members and close friends.
- Visitation Tuesday, February 5, 2019
- Funeral Service Wednesday, February 6, 2019
- Committal Service Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Barbara Jean Perkins
February 10, 2019
Norman, Michelle and family,
You have my heartfelt sympathy. I so enjoyed my visits with Barbara when she came for her hygiene appointments. She was so sweet and kind. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.
February 6, 2019
Norman and family:
I am so sorry to learn of Barbara's passing. My parents really enjoyed knowing the two of you, visiting, and going camping together. You will be in my prayers.
Angie Gupton Middleton
(Hank & Terry's Gupton's daughter)
Doyle And Gena Evans
February 2, 2019
Barbara was one of the sweetest, kindest women I have ever had the honor to know. I met her when we attended our very first cookie cutter collectors meeting in Texas. I knew right away that she was a very special lady. She was wonderful at keeping our club roster up to date and a wealth of knowledge about cookie cutters. She will be tremendously missed. Norman and family, we are praying for you. Doyle and Gena