November 9, 1922 – January 7, 2019
Howard Bell, age 96, of Bloomington, Illinois passed away on Monday January 7, 2019. Howard was born November 9, 1922 in Bloomington to Harry and Blanch Lovelle Bell. He was a lifelong resident of Bloomington.
He married Aretha Mae Sims in 1948. In 1967, he married Elaine Ruby Cooper. She passed away October 31, 2005. They were foster parents for 25 years to 75 children.
Survivors are a Son, Nathaniel (Carol) Sims, Bloomington; Daughter, Farah Whitfield, Jacksonville, FL; Stepsons: Ted (Jean) Pierre, Vancouver Island, Canada; Owen (Marial) Pierre, Vancouver, Canada; Grandchildren: Celeste (Leon) Thomas, Bloomington, Priscilla (John) Ziller, Bloomington, Lindsay Pierre; Great Grandchildren: Storm Sims, Leon Thomas, Jr. Nathan Thomas, Bloomington; Special Niece: Pat Shipp; Nieces and Nephews: Joe N. Shipp; Sharon Shipp; Rodney Shipp; Holly Shipp; Sylvia Walker; Nina (Les) Lewis; Frank (Veoria) Cooper; Annette Cooper. Special Cousins: Judy Jackson; Loren (Frances) Cornish; Shirley Jackson Hinton; William Jackson; Michael Jackson.
Howard was preceded in death by his parents and two sisters: Kathern Evans and Bernyce Taylor.
He was a member of Wayman AME Church, where he served on several church boards, that he was active in. He was a Founding Member of the Black History Club in Bloomington.
Howard served in the Army during WWII.
He retired from the U.S. Postal Service in 1986.
Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.EastLawn-Bloomington.com for the Bell family.
- Nathaniel (Carol) L. Sims, Son
- Farah Whitfield, Daughter
- Ted (Jean) Pierce, Son
- Owen (Marial) Pierre, Son
- Celeste (Leon) Thomas, Granddaughter
- Priscilla (John) Ziller, Granddaughter
- Lindsay Pierre, Granddaughter
- Storm Sims, Great Grandchild
- Leon Thomas Jr., Great Grandchild
- Nathan Thomas, Great Grandchild
- Pat Shipp, Niece
- Joe N Shipp, Nephew
- Sharon Shipp, Niece
- Rodney Shipp, Nephew
- Holly Shipp, Niece
- Sylvia Walker, Niece
- Nina (Les) Lewis, Niece
- Frank (Veoria) Cooper, Nephew
- Judy Jackson, Cousin
- Loren (Frances) Cornish, Cousin
- Shirley Jackson Hinton, Cousin
- William Jackson, Cousin
- Michael Jackson, Cousin
- Kathern Evans, Sister
- Bernyce Taylor, Sister
- Elaine Ruby Bell, Wife
- Harry Bell, Father
- Blanch Lovelle Bell, Mother
- Visitation Saturday, January 12, 2019
- Funeral Service Saturday, January 12, 2019
- Burial Saturday, January 12, 2019
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY