September 30, 1932 – June 11, 2020
Raymond Elisha Jones, 87, passed away Thursday, June 11, 2020, at his home. He was born September 30, 1932, to Hilton and Annie Lee Bennett Jones. He was a graduate of Marietta High School, where he played basketball, and had fond memories of the 1950 Championship Basketball Team along with his brother, Clyde. He attended Northeast Junior College where he was a member of the 1953 basketball team. He was drafted into the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was a member of Martin Hill Free Will Baptist Church since 1959, and taught the Adult Sunday School Class for many years. Before his retirement, he worked Plumrose, Hodges Wood Products and DeVaughn Wood Works. He enjoyed bird hunting, raising bird dogs, raising cows, fishing, gardening, and lately riding his golf cart around the lake while bird watching.
A Celebration of Life service will be at 4:00 P.M. Saturday, June 13, 2020, at Martin Hill Free Will Baptist Church with Bro. Ray Bennett and Bro. David Harper officiating. Burial will be in Martin Hill Cemetery. Services are under the direction of McMillan Funeral Home.
He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Bobbie Dodds Jones; one son, Steven (Trisha) Jones; two daughters, Cindy Jones and Kim Carnathan; one brother, Larry (Kay) Jones; two sisters, Nell Pharr and Frances Hodges; six grandchildren, Jonathan (Leslie) Pounders, Beth (Joey) Hughes, Adam Carnathan, Jacqueline (Thomas) Holloway, Caleb (Krissy) Jones and Jacob Jones; and 10 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers, Clyde Jones and Danny Lee Jones; two sisters, Virginia DeVaughn and infant Martha Sue Jones; two brothers-in-law, Horac DeVaughn and Jimmy Pharr; two sisters-in-law, Helen Jones and Betty Jones; and one granddaughter, Cassie Danielle Jones.
Pallbearers are Jonathan Pounders, Adam Carnathan, Caleb Jones, Jacob Jones, Thomas Holloway and Joey Hughes.
Honorary pallbearers are Cayce DePoyster, Dennis DePoyster, Don Westmoreland and Jurgen Hellriegel.
Visitation will be Saturday from 3:00 P.M. until 4:00 P.M. at the church.
Condolences may be left at www.mcmillanfuneralhome.com.
- Bobbie Dodds Jones, Wife
- Steven Jones (Trisha), Son
- Cindy Jones, Daughter
- Kim Carnathan, Daughter
- Larry Jones (Kay), Brother
- Nell Pharr, Sister
- Frances Hodges, Sister
- Jonathan Pounders (Leslie), Grandchild
- Beth Hughes (Joey), Grandchild
- Adam Carnathan, Grandchild
- Jacqueline Holloway (Thomas), Grandchild
- Caleb Jones (Krissy), Grandchild
- Jacob Jones, Grandchild
- Hilton Jones, Father (deceased)
- Annie Lee Bennett Jones, Mother (deceased)
- Clyde Jones, Brother (deceased)
- Danny Lee Jones, Brother (deceased)
- Virginia DeVaughn, Sister (deceased)
- Martha Sue Jones, Infant Sister (deceased)
- Horac DeVaughn, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Jimmy Pharr, Brother-in-law (deceased)
- Helen Jones, Sister-in-law (deceased)
- Betty Jones, Sister-in-law (deceased)
- Cassie Danielle Jones, Granddaughter (deceased)
- Jonathan Pounders, Pallbearer
- Adam Carnathan, Pallbearer
- Caleb Jones, Pallbearer
- Jacob Jones, Pallbearer
- Thomas Holloway, Pallbearer
- Joey Hughes, Pallbearer
- Cayce DePoyster, Honorary Pallbearer
- Dennis DePoyster, Honorary Pallbearer
- Don Westmoreland, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jurgen Hellriegel, Honorary Pallbearer
Saturday, June 13, 2020
A Celebration of Life
Saturday, June 13, 2020
Jo Ellen and jimmy Dodds
June 14, 2020
Ms Bobbie and family I am sorry for your loss. I love yall. Loved Raymond he was always so quite and nice to me. I will be lifting you up in my prayers in the future, as time goes on.
June 12, 2020
I am sorry to hear about Raymond passing away. May God bless your family during this time.