Joseph Julius Hamelin
November 18, 1934 – September 16, 2019
Joseph Julius Hamelin, 84, a Bowie Resident for a year, previous residence in Temple Hills, MD., went to be with the Lord on September 16, 2019. Jay, or J.J. to his friends, was born to Joseph and Carrie Hamelin on November 18, 1934 in Thomaston, Alabama. While a young man, he attended Marengo Co. Training School/Amelia Johnson High School. When he completed school, he joined the U.S. Marines, attaining the rank of Sargent. Following his military career, he began working and would retire after 33 years from Washington Gas Light Company – as a foreman/Supervisor.
Jay was a member of From the Heart Ministries (Church), FTHM Duplication Ministry, as well as multiple philanthropic organizations. When not serving the Lord and spending time with his family, he enjoyed helping others, being a gifted and self-taught handyman and working on automobiles. He also enjoyed watching golf and playing Sudoku. He will be remembered most for his spirit, sense of humor, wit, generosity, philanthropy, kindness, and his willingness to serve however needed.
Jay is survived by his wife of 55 years, Joyce Ann Hamelin, his children, Monica Williamson, Michael Hamelin, Yowanda Godfrey, Julius Hamelin (wife Carol), and Brian Hamelin, his sister, Johnnie Marie Brazel and his grandchildren: Tyrone Williamson, Jr. (wife Shaunita), Monique Williamson, Michael Parker, Christopher Godfrey, Julius Hamelin, Jr., Juwan Hamelin, Jayla Hamelin, Tiera Ramsey, and Mychelle Hamelin, Great-grandchildren, Jordan Hamelin, Vonn Ramsey and Aryanna Hamelin-Johnson. Joseph was preceded in death by his parents, and siblings Daisy Hamelin, Rosa Lee Bell, and Arcola Reaser.
- Mrs. Joyce Ann Hamelin, Spouse
- Monica Williamson, Daughter
- Michael Hamelin, Son
- Yowanda Godfrey, Daughter
- Julius Hamelin, Son
- Carol Hamelin, Daughter-in-law
- Brian Hamelin, Son
- Daisy Hamelin, Sister (deceased)
- Rosa Lee Bell, Sister (deceased)
- Johnnie Marie Brazel, Sister
- Arcola Reaser, Sister (deceased)
- Tyrone Williamson, Grandson
- Shaunita Williamson, Grand-Daughter-in-Law
- Monique Williamson, Granddaughter
- Michael Parker, Grandson
- Christopher Godfrey, Grandson
- Julius Hamelin Jr., Grandson
- Juwan Hamelin, Grandson
- Jayla Hamelin, Granddaughter
- Tiera Ramsey, Granddaughter
- Mychelle Hamelin, Granddaughter
- Jordan Hamelin, Great Grandchild
- Vonn Ramsey, Great Grandchild
- Aryanna Hamelin-Johnson, Great Grandchild
- Carrie Hamelin, Mother (deceased)
- Joseph Hamelin, Father (deceased)
- Visitation Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- Funeral Service Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- Graveside service following the funeral service Tuesday, September 24, 2019
Joseph Julius Hamelin
October 9, 2019
My mom and I are very sorry to just learn of Mr. Hamelin’s passing. We offer our most sincere condolences. Mr. Hamelin was such a nice friend to my father during my dad’s later years. We really appreciated that.
September 29, 2019
Jay or J. J. As he was often Called by us being Of TheFirst Blacks Or African American as we were known at that time to be employed By. W.G.L. Company be for Intergration with High School or a Higher Education. He was the First Black Welder in W.G.L Co. To became part of the skilled and Techinal Jobs of the Company. Wow the Tales. We Good Tell. Great Man And Even Greater Memories. REST IN PEACE MY BROTHER ...Walton (Bubbie) Burroughs LOVE YOU MY BROTHER 301-502-3260
September 20, 2019
You are all in our thoughts and prayers during this time. May God continue to bless you and comfort you all.