Joseph M. Hamilton
July 18, 1914 – November 3, 2018
Joseph Melvin Hamilton passed away on Saturday, November 3, 2018 at the age of 104. He was born on July 18, 1914 to Jesse Alan Hamilton and Verna Ethel Hamilton in Edgar County near Paris, Illinois.
Joseph went to school in a one room school house for the first eight grades and graduated from high school in 1932.
In 1919 his mother passed away from the flu and his father passed away on March 4, 1933. Joseph had a brother, Paul and a sister, Mary and two half-brothers, John and Morris.
In May of 1933 Joseph moved to Wichita, Kansas where he worked with the Wichita Beacon newspaper starting on May 9, 1933. He lived with his brother, Paul and his wife Pearl until he married Edna McGongle on September 26, 1934. Together Joseph and Edna had one son, Wayne and one daughter, Virginia. Edna’s mother, Lucy McGongle lived with them until her passing in March of 1950 at the age of 84.
In September of 1946 the family moved to Denver, Colorado where Joseph started working for the Denver Post as a Pressman on September 5, 1946; he also worked at the Rocky Mountain News and Catholic Register. Joseph retired from the Denver Post in 1975.
Virginia and Richard Merkle were married on August 17, 1962; they have two daughters, Sharon Lynne and Melanie Sue.
Wayne and Margene Merkle were married on June 4, 1965; they have two sons, Steven Kent and Dale Eric.
Joseph and Edna lived at the Lakewood Meridian Retirement Center until Edna passed away on March 12, 1991.
Joseph is survived by his children, Virginia (Richard) Merkle, Wayne (Margene) Hamilton; grandchildren, Sharon Lynne Andrew, Melanie Sue Williams, Steven Kent Hamilton, Dale Eric Hamilton; five great-grandchildren, Lindsey Slabaugh, Ryan Slabaugh, Kyle Hamilton, Connor Hamilton, Tyler Hamilton; five great great-grandchildren, Alysa Wood, Jadyn Wood, Olivia Meza, Gabriel Meza, Everly Slabaugh; and many other loving family members and friends.
The family will receive friends for a visitation at 1:00pm on Saturday, November 10, 2018 at Olinger Chapel Hill a service will follow at 2:00pm. Joseph will be laid to rest next to his wife and the family will have a reception after the committal service.
- Jesse Alan and Verna Ethel Hamilton, Parents
- Edna (McGongle) Hamilton, Wife
- Virginia (Richard) Merkle, Daughter
- Wayne (Margene) Hamilton, Son
- Sharon Lynne Andrew, Granddaughter
- Melanie Sue Williams, Granddaughter
- Steven Kent Hamilton, Grandson
- Dale Eric Hamilton, Grandson
- Lindsey Slabaugh, Great Grandchild
- Ryan Slabaugh, Great Grandchild
- Kyle Hamilton, Great Grandchild
- Connor Hamilton, Great Grandchild
- Tyler Hamilton, Great Grandchild
- Alysa Wood, Great great grandchild
- Jadyn Wood, Great great grandchild
- Olivia Meza, Great great grandchild
- Gabriel Meza, Great great grandchild
- Everly Slabaugh, Great great grandchild
- Steve Hamilton
- Dale Hamilton
- Kyle Hamilton
- Tyler Hamilton
- George Andrew
- Ryan Slabaugh
- Visitation Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Celebration of Life Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Graveside Service Saturday, November 10, 2018
- Reception Saturday, November 10, 2018
Joseph M. Hamilton
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
November 8, 2018
After writing the first one I found this additional information which was more complete. As I said Uncle Joe And Aunt Edna was favorites of mine. Remember coming to Colorado to see you all and that is probably the first vacation we had. Lots of fun when you came to see Grandma and Grandpa with many happy times. He had a long life and will be missed. God bless you and give you comfort during this difficult time.