Barbara Jeanette Smith
June 22, 1936 – August 23, 2019
Barbara Jeanette Smith, passed away on August 23, 2019 at Beaumont Hospital in Troy, Michigan following a long illness. She was 83 years old. She was born on June 22, 1936 in Benham, Kentucky. Barbara believed in the Pentecostal faith and worked for Fisher Corporation in Troy, Michigan for 23 ½ years.
She was the loving wife of the late Olan Smith. Barbara is survived by her children Debra Jo Gehart-Carpenter and husband Edward, Sharon Lynn McDonough and husband Michael Sr., Rhonda Katherine Smith, Wendy Renee’ Morales, and son-in-law Steven Leathers. Grandchildren Jamie Majewski (Nicole), Angela Klausen (Jamee), Ibrahim Noor (Asha), Diana LaPointe, Joey Majewski, Kristy Orwig (David), Nikki Sturza (Jeremy), Michael McDonough Jr. (Katrina), Melanie Morales, Brianna Leathers, Brendan Leathers, Alexandria Morales, and Makenzie Morales. Great grandchildren Amber Horton, Tyler Majewski, Madison Majewski, Cheyenne Orwig, Courteney Orwig, Zachary Majewski, Caden LaPointe, Ava Klausen, Amina Noor, Logan Klausen, Adrianna LaPointe, Gavin LaPointe, Layla Noor, Isabella Sturza, Jenna Sturza, and River Garcia. Great great grandchildren Taiylihonna Horton and Sophiya Jo Horton.
Barbara was preceded in death by her parents James Walter Brady and Ida Cleo Whitehead Highfield and her daughters Teresa Fiore and Vicky Leathers.
Visitation will be held on Thursday, August 29, 2019 from 2:00pm until 8:00pm at Resurrection Funeral Home, 40800 Hayes Road in Clinton Township. A Memory Share will start at 6:30pm on Thursday evening. A Funeral Service will take place on Friday, August 30, 2019 at 11:00am at the funeral home. Friends may visit the funeral home beginning at 10:00am on Friday.
Committal Services for Barbara will take place at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly, Michigan on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 1:00pm.
Memorial donations for Barbara are appreciated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2265 Livernois Rd., Ste 410, Troy, MI 48083 or the Alzheimer’s Association, 25200 Telegraph Rd Suite 100, Southfield, MI 48033.
- The late Olan Smith, Husband
- Debra Jo (Edward) Gehart-Carpenter, Daughter
- Sharon Lynn (Michael Sr.) McDonough, Daughter
- Rhonda Katherine Smith, Daughter
- Wendy Renee’ Morales, Daughter
- Steven Leathers, Son-in-law
- Jamie (Nicole) Majewski, Grandchild
- Angela (Jamee) Klausen, Grandchild
- Ibrahim (Asha) Noor, Grandchild
- Diana LaPointe, Grandchild
- Joey Majewski, Grandchild
- Kristy (David) Orwig, Grandchild
- Nikki (Jeremy) Sturza, Grandchild
- Michael (Katrina) McDonough Jr., Grandchild
- Melanie Morales, Grandchild
- Brianna Leathers, Grandchild
- Brendan Leathers, Grandchild
- Alexandria Morales, Grandchild
- Makenzie Morales, Grandchild
- Amber Horton, Great Grandchild
- Tyler Majewski, Great Grandchild
- Madison Majewski, Great Grandchild
- Cheyenne Orwig, Great Grandchild
- Courteney Orwig, Great Grandchild
- Zachary Majewski, Great Grandchild
- Caden LaPointe, Great Grandchild
- Ava Klausen, Great Grandchild
- Amina Noor, Great Grandchild
- Logan Klausen, Great Grandchild
- Adrianna LaPointe, Great Grandchild
- Gavin LaPointe, Great Grandchild
- Layla Noor, Great Grandchild
- Isabella Sturza, Great Grandchild
- Jenna Sturza, Great Grandchild
- River Garcia, Great Grandchild
- Taiylihonna Horton, Great Great Grandchild
- Sophiya Jo Horton, Great Great Grandchild
- Barbara was preceded in death by her parents James Walter Brady and Ida Cleo Whitehead Highfield and her daughters Teresa Fiore and Vicky Leathers.
- Visitation Thursday, August 29, 2019
- Memory Share Thursday, August 29, 2019
- Visitation Friday, August 30, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, August 30, 2019
Barbara Jeanette Smith
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
August 29, 2019
I had the privilege of spending quality time and taking care of my grandma last summer. From taking her vitals, doing OT and PT exercises, to going on our daily walk or two, we spent hours together everyday making sure her strength was improving. I will never forget the summer I spent with her, learning about her likes and dislikes, her previous work experience, her marriage with my grandpa, and her love of being a mother. We cooked together, went shopping, and played card games. She loved the company and would look for me if I wasn’t going to show that day. One of my favorite things about my grandma is her incredibly sweet soul. Throughout all of her illnesses, she remained kind and selfless. She loved and relied on her incredible daughters and would have done anything for them. I hope I can live all of my days in honor of the woman that she was, and that I can learn to be more humble and giving like she is.
August 28, 2019
Aunt Barbara was sweet lady, she a had a deep love of God and family. I always enjoyed her visits. I am so glad that we always had a close relationship with all of my Mom's family. We may be across the country, but have kept our family ties through social media. I am thankful for these connections. My prayers are with you.
August 28, 2019
Grandma was an endlessly caring, strong, and beautiful woman. She will be missed dearly every day.
August 27, 2019
Barbara was such a kind loving spirit. She will be forever in our hearts and our thoughts. May God comfort her family as only He can.
John 14: 1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Cousin Sherry Adair
August 27, 2019
Mrs. Smith, your love of the Lord was indeed special and that you passed on that love and brought me to God will be forever ingrained in me. You helped to save my soul and for that there are no words or deeds except to try and pass that love on to others. You and your girls meant so much to me growing up!! Your goodness and love of everything and everyone will stay with me forever. May you dance in Heaven with the Lord and your beautiful girls. I thank God for you everyday and hope that I have even a small amount of the goodness and Godliness that you have shown over the years. May your girls find comfort in their faith till they see you again. Love Always, Lisa Croswell
August 26, 2019
Aunt Barbara, was one of the sweetest, most loving and beautiful ladies, she was always the same, a quiet soft spoken lady, I loved her visits with my Mom, Barbara sister! A beautiful Angel is now on the streets of gold! I loved my Aunt Barbara! Will miss her!
August 26, 2019
I remember so many wonderful memories with my mother. I pray she found peace. No more sickness or pain shes in heaven now with my dad Olan Smith and 2 sisters Vicky and Teresa. I love you mommy!! I will miss you every single day. Til we meet again in heaven. Hug daddy Vicky and Teresa for me. I love you and miss you!! Kathy Smith