Walter Joseph Gunn
July 18, 1919 – October 3, 2018
Walter J. Gunn died at his home surrounded by his family on October 3, 2018. Walter was born on July 18, 1919 in Brooklyn, NY, the son of Otha and Mary Francis (Forrester) Gunn. He moved to Colorado Springs in 1986.
Walter served in the US Army for twenty-eight years before retiring. He served in World War II in the Philippines and was at Pearl Harbor the day it was bombed. He also served in the Korean War and the Vietnam War.
He loved sports and played football in high school and in the Army. While living in Louisiana he was an avid fisherman. He became a fan of the New York Yankees after watching Babe Ruth play.
He is preceded in death by his wife Josephine Elizabeth (Sweet) Gunn, his parents Otha and Mae Gunn, great-granddaughter Leeanna Nopper, his sister Gertrude and son-in-law William McDowell. He is survived by his daughter Jeri McDowell, his grand-children Shannon (Jim) Nopper and Will (Ashley) McDowell. He was proud great-grandfather to Kyla, Kade, Charlee, Emmalynn and Conor. Walter loved spending time with his family and friends. His warm smile and easy laugh drew people to him. He will be missed by all who knew and loved him.
Recitation of the Rosary will be at 9:15am at St Gabriel the Archangel Catholic Church on Thursday, October 25, 2018 with Memorial Mass to follow at 10:00am.
- Josephine Elizabeth Gunn, Wife
- Mary (Mae) Francis Gunn, Mother
- Otha Gunn, Father
- Leeanna Nopper, Great Granddaughter
- Gertrude Gunn, Sister
- William McDowell, Son-in-law
- Jeri McDowell, Daughter
- Shannon (Jim) Nopper, Grandchild
- Will (Ashley) McDowell, Grandchild
- He was proud great-grandfather to Kyla, Kade, Charlee, Emmalynn and Conor.
- Recitation of the Rosary Thursday, October 25, 2018
- Memorial Mass Thursday, October 25, 2018