Barbara Pope Jernigan
January 28, 1929 – January 14, 2020
Barbara Pope Jernigan, age 90, of Columbus, Georgia passed away on Tuesday, January 14, 2020.
Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, January 17, 2020 in Edgewood Hall of Striffler-Hamby Mortuary in Columbus, Georgia. Burial will follow in Parkhill Cemetery. The family will receive friends Thursday evening from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the funeral home.
Mrs. Jernigan was born in Columbus, Georgia on January 28, 1929, daughter of the late Andrew L. Stillwell and Annie May Clark Stillwell. She worked for the Pentagon as an Administrative Assistant for several years. Later, she worked at Matthews Department Store in the shoe department. She and her husband opened and managed Paul Pope Shoes in the mall until its closing in 1990. Mrs. Jernigan is a member of Wynnton United Methodist Church. She was preceded in death by both her first husband, Paul R. Pope, and her second husband, James E. Jernigan, five sisters, and a brother. Mrs. Jernigan volunteered as a Pink Lady with St. Francis Hospital for over 20 years.
Survivors include her two sons, Glen Paul Pope and James A. Pope (Katie), all of Columbus, Georgia; three grandchildren, Camille Pope, Sara Ballew (Levi), and Hanna Pope; two great-grandchildren, Samantha Ballew and Finley Ballew; and stepchildren, Marty Slaughter of Columbus, Georgia and Robbie Jernigan of Springfield, Missouri.
Fond memories and condolences for the Jernigan family may be left at www.shcolumbus.com
- Glen Paul Pope, Son
- James A. Pope (Katie), Son
- Camille Pope, Grandchild
- Sara Ballew (Levi), Grandchild
- Hanna Pope, Grandchild
- Samantha Ballew, Great-Grandchild
- Finley Ballew, Great-Grandchild
- Marty Slaughter, Stepchild
- Robbie Jernigan, Stepchild
- Andrew L. Stillwell, Father (deceased)
- Annie May Clark Stillwell, Mother (deceased)
- Paul R. Pope, First Husband (deceased)
- James E. Jernigan, Second Husband (deceased)
- Visitation for Family and Friends Thursday, January 16, 2020
- Funeral Services Friday, January 17, 2020