Jo Sue Riviere
August 31, 1930 – June 2, 2021
Jo Sue Riviere, passed away at home on Wednesday, June 2, 2021 under the care of Columbus Hospice.
A graveside service will be held on Friday, June 4, 2021 at 2:00 PM in Parkhill Cemetery with Pastor Kyle Jackson of Church of the Highlands officiating. Toby Gilliland of Gentian Baptist will be Minister of Music. Family will greet friends at Striffler-Hamby Mortuary from 12:30 PM until 1:30 PM with a procession into Parkhill after visitation.
She was born on August 31, 1930 to the late Velma and Henry Holcombe in Birmingham, Alabama. Jo Sue was married to the late Hal Richey Riviere, Jr. and together they called Columbus, Georgia home where they raised their four children. She worked for GMAC Financial for many years. After retirement, she enjoyed spending time with her family and tending to her flowers in her yard. She was an excellent cook; her family loved her banana pudding, turkey and dressing, and her sweet potato soufflé. Jo Sue was Christian by faith, it was top priority to her. She was a member of Gentian Baptist Church for many years. Jo Sue will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her.
Jo Sue is preceded in death by her parents, Velma and Henry Holcombe; her husband, Hal; her son-in-law, Greg Yates; sisters: Dot Cheatum, Elsie Cornelius, and Edna Conner; her brother, Buddy Holcombe.
Jo Sue Riviere is survived by her children: Deborah Yates, Jennifer Knight, David (Shara) Riviere, and Daniel Riviere; her grandchildren: Hal Richey Riviere, III, Leah (Cam) Kersey, Will Yates, Justin (Lindsey) Riviere, Jamie (Jeremy Evans) Riviere, Jessika (Chris) Mallory, and Cole Knight; four great grandchildren: Yates Kersey, Ella Kersey, Juniper Mallory and Rivi Mallory; numerous nieces, nephews, and other relatives.
- Deborah Yates, Daughter
- Jennifer Knight, Daughter
- David Riviere (Shara), Son
- Daniel Riviere, Son
- Hal Richey Riviere, III, Grandchild
- Leah Kersey (Cam), Grandchild
- Will Yates, Grandchild
- Justin Riviere (Lindsey), Grandchild
- Jamie Riviere (Jeremy Evans), Grandchild
- Jessika Mallory (Chris), Grandchild
- Cole Knight, Grandchild
- Yates Kersey, Great Grandchild
- Ella Kersey, Great Grandchild
- Juniper Mallory, Great Grandchild
- Rivi Mallory, Great Grandchild
- Velma Holcombe, Mother (deceased)
- Henry Holcombe, Father (deceased)
- Hal Richey Riviere, Jr., Husband (deceased)
- Greg Yates, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Dot Cheatum, Sister (deceased)
- Elsie Cornelius, Sister (deceased)
- Edna Conner, Sister (deceased)
- Buddy Holcombe, Brother (deceased)
- Jo Sue Riviere also leaves her loving memory to be cherished by numerous nieces, nephews and other family members.
Visitation for Family and Friends
Friday, June 4, 2021
A Graveside Service
Friday, June 4, 2021
Jo Sue Riviere
June 7, 2021
Missing Nana extra hard today ❤️ I would usually call her at this time of day and tell her what her great grandchildren have been up to.
June 5, 2021
MY DEEPEST SYMPATHIES & PRAYERS TO FAMILY & FRIENDS.
I THANK JOSUE FOR ALL HER SUPPORT & PRAYERS SHE GAVE TO ME, ESPECIALLY OVER THE LAST 2 YRS. I WILL MISS ALL OF OUR LATE NIGHT CONVERSATIONS. WE SHARED MANY LAUGHS & LOTS OF PRAYERS. JOSUE WAS A MIGHTY WOMAN OF FAITH & SHE WAS ONE TREMENDOUS PRAYER WARRIOR. WE COULD PICK UP THE PHONE ANYTIME & KNOW THAT WE COULD GO TO PRAYER FOR ANY SITUATION!!!
I LOVE YOU AUNT JOSUE & WILL MISS YOU MUCH
ANN TOMLINSON - CORBIN
June 2, 2021
Jo Sue worked with my husband, Joe Tomlinson, at GMAC for many years. She was such a sweet, kind person and always so nice to be around. We were blessed to have known her. Thoughts and prayers for her family.