SFC (Ret.) Jospeh Anthony Hatchett
August 26, 1934 – December 4, 2018
Joseph Anthony Hatchett, 84, of Columbus, GA passed Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at home surrounded by his loving family. Graveside services will be held at 1:00 p.m. Friday, December 7, 2018 at Parkhill Cemetery with Rev. Mike Reeves officiating.
Mr. Hatchett was born August 26, 1934 in Brooklyn, NY, the son of the late Jessie and Margaret Hatchett. He classified himself as a professional soldier, serving his country in the U.S. Army for over twenty seven year with two stints in the Vietnam War. He would earn numerous commendations during his time in service, including two bronze stars and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. After his time enlisted he would pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree in History. He enjoyed learning about all things historical and was very well versed in the history bible. Mr. Hatchett also won a very prestigious civilian award being named father of the year in 1975.
He was preceded in death by his parents and first wife Mary Hatchett. Survivors include his wife; Anita Hatchett, nine children; Michael Hatchett (Irene), Erich Hatchett, Stephen Hatchett (Irene), Regina Abney (David), Kevin Hatchett, Siobhan Hatchett, Christopher Hatchett, Terry Olds (Margaret) Rodney Olds. He also leaves behind numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Striffler-Hamby is entrusted with the arrangements; you may offer your condolences by visiting www.shcolumbus.com
- Jessie Hatchett, Father
- Margaret Hatchett, Mother
- Mary Hatchett, Previous Spouse
- Anita Hatchett, Wife
- Michael (Irene) Hatchett, Son and Daughter in Law
- Erich Hatchett, Son
- Stephen (Irene) Hatchett, Son and Daughter in Law
- Regina (David) Abney, Daughter and Son in Law
- Kevin Hatchett, Son
- Siobhan Marie Hatchett, Daughter
- Christopher Hatchett, Son
- Terry (Margaret) Olds, Son and Daughter in Law
- Rodney Olds, Son
- Mr. Hatchett also leaves behind a host of other nieces, nephews and cousins including numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren.
- Graveside Funeral Service with Military Honors Friday, December 7, 2018