Mary Ann Powell
January 27, 1944 – October 8, 2019
Mary Ann Dickerson Powell passed away on October 8, 2019 at Columbus Hospice House in Columbus, Georgia. A service to celebrate her life will be held on Friday, October 11, 2019 at 11:00 AM in the Edgewood Hall of Striffler-Hamby, Columbus, Georgia with Reverend Mark Blaxton officiating. Active pallbearers will be Trinity Powell, Marcus Stett, Johnny Stett, Davin Holland, Nick Stett, Jackson Powell and Cooper Powell. Family will visit with friends on Thursday evening at the funeral home from 5:00 PM until 7:00 PM. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Columbus Hospice at www.columbushospice.com.
She was born in Columbus, Georgia on January 27, 1944 to the late Oscar E. & Edith H. Dickerson. Mrs. Mary was married to Edgar Donald Powell on February 3, 1961; they were married for almost 59 years. Together they lived in Cataula, Georgia. Mrs. Mary enjoyed 34 years of transporting students to Harris County Schools. She especially enjoyed driving band students to various games and band functions. She loved to cook and care for neighbors, friends, and serve the community in general. She was an excellent gardener and had a special knack with plants and planting. Her favorite times were spent with family and friends, especially when fishing was involved.
Mrs. Mary is survived by her loving husband of almost 59 years, Edgar Donald Powell; her loving daughters: Dona K. (Steven) Garrett of Knoxville, TN and Colleen M. (Mark) Stett of Columbus, GA; her loving son, Duane A. (Donna) Powell of Carrollton, GA; her loving brother, Robert (Shirlene) Dickerson; her loving grandchildren: Trinity Powell, Marcus Stett, Ashley Dunn, Johnny Stett, David Holland, Nicholas Stett, Jackson Powell, Cooper Powell, and Kennedy Powell; her loving great grandchildren: Caleb, Noah, Paisley, Parker, Emerson and Adeline. She was preceded in death by her son, Marcus M. Powell and her brother, Perry L. Dickerson.
To share fond memories and condolences with the family please visit www.shcolumbus.com.
- Edgar Donald Powell, Husband of 58 Years
- Dona K. Garrett (Steven), Daughter
- Colleen M. Stett (Mark), Daughter
- Duane A. Powell (Donna), Son
- Robert Dickerson (Shirlene), Brother
- Trinity Powell, Grandchild
- Marcus Stett, Grandchild
- Ashley Dunn, Grandchild
- Johnny Stett, Grandchild
- David Holland, Grandchild
- Nicholas Stett, Grandchild
- Jackson Powell, Grandchild
- Cooper Powell, Grandchild
- Kennedy Powell, Grandchild
- Oscar E. Dickerson, Father (deceased)
- Edith H. Dickerson, Mother (deceased)
- Perry L. Dickerson, Brother (deceased)
- Marcus M. Powell, Son (deceased)
- Mrs. Powell also leaves behind six great grandchildren, Caleb, Noah, Paisley, Parker, Emerson and Adeline along with other extended relatives and friends ro cherish her loving memory.
- Trinity Powell
- Marcus Stett
- Johnny Stett
- Davin Holland
- Nick Stett
- Jackson Powell
- Cooper Powell
- Visitation Thursday, October 10, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, October 11, 2019
Mary Ann Powell
October 11, 2019
Dear Colleen and family,
I am so sorry for your loss. My son and I had the pleasure of meeting your mother. What an angel. I will never forget the breakfast that she cooked us. Who knew that you could cook perfect eggs in a cast iron skillet? My thoughts and prayers to you all.
October 10, 2019
R.I.P aunt MaryAnn you were a kind & loving aunt, always opening your door to those in need. No one ever left hungry at family gatherings. Good times & good food, her love for cooking will be missed. We will all miss you, Mike, Debbie & Kelsey bug.