Robert E. "Billy" Greene
January 18, 1928 – May 12, 2019
Robert Eugene (fondly known as “Billy”) Greene, age 91, formerly of Columbus, GA passed away on May 12, 2019 in Rossville, GA. A funeral service to celebrate his life will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, May 17, 2019 at Striffler-Hamby Mortuary, Columbus, GA. A visitation will be held there on Thursday from 5 – 7 p.m. Interment will be in Parkhill Cemetery.
Robert was born on January 18, 1928 in Troy, AL, the son of Charles Morris Greene and Renee Walton Greene. He graduated from Central High School in Phenix, City. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1944 and served for 6 years followed by a 7 ½ year service in the U.S. Air Force. He served in both World War II and the Korean War. He met Ethel Smith, and they married Jan. 28, 1950. They were married for 66 years, together having 5 children; 3 sons and 2 daughters.
Following his military service, Robert held a career in building construction and maintenance supervision. He loved working in his garden, cooking for others, reading, fishing, and hunting. He loved working for his church, Trinity Assembly of God, where he and Ethel attended for many years. They were able to go on 18 mission trips to various countries. He loved serving others.
Robert is preceded in death by his loving wife, Ethel; two sons, James M. Greene and Samuel E. Greene; and daughter-in-law, Madelyn Hubbard Greene. Survivors include two daughters, Pamela Dale (David), Ann Papsis (Ted); his son, William D. Greene (Willa); 10 grandchildren, Elizabeth Lee, Jennifer Wilson, Kary Papsis, Jeffrey Dale, Kathryn Greene, Rebecca Jones, Jacelyn Davidson, Renee Papsis, Bret Greene, and Bobby Papsis, as well as 20 great grandchildren.
Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.shcolumbus.com for the Greene family.
- Charles Morris Greene, Father
- Renee Walton Greene, Mother
- Ethel Smith Greene, Wife of 66 Years
- James M. Greene, Son
- Samuel E. Greene, Son
- Madelyn Hubbard Greene, Daughter-in-Law
- Pamela Dale (David), Daughter
- Ann Papsis (Ted), Daughter
- William D. Greene (Willa), Son
- Elizabeth Lee, Grandchild
- Jennifer Wilson, Grandchild
- Kary Papsis, Grandchild
- Jeffrey Dale, Grandchild
- Kathryn Greene, Grandchild
- Rebecca Jones, Grandchild
- Jacelyn Davidson, Grandchild
- Renee Papsis, Grandchild
- Bret Greene, Grandchild
- Bobby Papsis, Grandchild
- Mr. Greene also leaves behind 20 great grandchildren, many other extended relatives and friends to cherish his legacy.
- David Dale, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jeffrey Dale, Honorary Pallbearer
- Nic Davidson, Honorary Pallbearer
- Bret Greene, Honorary Pallbearer
- Bobby Papsis, Honorary Pallbearer
- Dave Wilson, Honorary Pallbearer
- Visitation of Family & Friends Thursday, May 16, 2019
- Funeral Service Friday, May 17, 2019
Robert E. "Billy" Greene
May 14, 2019
Pam, Ann and Billy you and your families are in my thoughts and prayers. The long road is over for Uncle Billy he at last has peace. I pray for God to comfort all of you at this time and the days to come, blessings for all.