Dorothy "Jean" Roberts
October 16, 1922 – February 6, 2021
Dorothy “Jean” Roberts, 98, passed away Saturday February 6, 2021 in Bolingbrook, Illinois. Jean was born October 16, 1922 in Versailles, Ohio to Arden Mark and Mildred May (Shellbarger) Speelman.
She married Ralph E. Roberts on August 1, 1943 in Covington, Ohio. He preceded her in death on February 5, 1981.
Jean played the clarinet for her High School’s marching band and enjoyed playing the piano throughout her life. She worked as a sales clerk with Sears & Roebuck Co. for many years and later, worked as a greeter for Wal-Mart. She was very involved in her church and enjoyed teaching Sunday school and singing in the church’s choir. She also loved going on mission trips where she traveled to North Carolina, Kentucky, and was even able to fulfill her lifelong dream of visiting Israel.
Jean is survived by her children, John Philip (Peggy) Roberts of Bloomington, Indiana and Barbara “Bobbie” (Wayne) Rumbley of Plainfield, Illinois; her grandchildren, SFC John Philip (Wendy) Roberts II of Guyton, Georgia, Michael A. (Jessica) Roberts of Paoli, Indiana, Kelley Catherine King, Kimberly Ann Barkes, both of Columbus, Indiana, Pastor Ryan Wayne (Suzanne) Rumbley of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, Barrett Evan Rumbley of Bradenton, Florida, and Joshua Bryce (Chelsea) Rumbley of Pacifica, California; twelve great-grandchildren (who lovingly called her “GG”), Matthew (Brianna), Hunter, Isabelle, Paisleigh, and Beckett Roberts, Lilly, Devin, and Grace Barkes, and Hannah, Renee, Becca, and Caleb Rumbley; and one great-great grandchild, Lakelynn Michelle Roberts.
She was preceded in death by her parents and her step-father, Joseph M. Harding; her husband; and her daughter, Carol Ann Roberts King.
Funeral Service for Jean will be held Friday, February 12 at 9:30 a.m. at Myers-Reed Chapel with Pastor Ryan Wayne Rumbley officiating. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m. to the service time. Following the funeral service, Jean will be laid to rest at Highland Cemetery in Covington, Ohio.
Memorial Donations her name may be made to the American Cancer Society.
Online condolences to the family may be made at www.Myers-Reed.com
Myers-Reed Chapel is serving Jean’s Family.
- John Philip Roberts (Peggy A.), Son
- Barbara "Bobbie" Rumbley (Wayne), Daughter
- SFC John Philip Roberts II (Wendy), Grandson
- Michael A. Roberts (Jessica), Grandson
- Kelley Catherine King, Granddaughter
- Kimberly Ann Barkes, Granddaughter
- Pastor Ryan Wayne Rumbley (Suzanne), Grandson
- Barrett Evan Rumbley, Grandson
- Joshua Bryce Rumbley (Chelsea), Grandson
- Matthew Philip Roberts (Brianna), Great Grandson
- Hunter R. Roberts, Great Grandson
- Isabelle Marie Roberts, Great Granddaughter
- Paisleigh Roberts, Great Granddaughter
- Beckett Allen Roberts, Great Grandson
- Lilly Ann Barkes, Great Granddaughter
- Devin Anderson Barkes, Great Grandson
- Grace Katherine Barkes, Great Granddaughter
- Hannah Joy Rumbley, Great Granddaughter
- Renee Hope Rumbley, Great Granddaughter
- Becca Faith Rumbley, Great Granddaughter
- Caleb Ryan Rumbley, Great Grandson
- Lakelynn Michelle Roberts, Great- Great Granddaughter
- Jeanwas preceded in death by her parents, Arden Mark and Mildred May Speelman, and her step-father, Joseph M. Harding; her husband, Ralph E. Roberts; and her daughter, Carol Ann Roberts King.
- American Cancer Society
Friday, February 12, 2021
Friday, February 12, 2021