Joyce Eloise Evans
October 16, 1930 – November 28, 2019
Joyce Eloise Evans, age 89 of Corpus Christi, Texas, passed away November 28, 2019.
She was born in Corpus Christi, Texas on October 16, 1930. Joyce graduated from Sundeen High School, Corpus Christi as Valedictorian and attended Mary Hardin Baylor College, Belton, Texas with a music scholarship. She later attended the University of Corpus Christi to further her education.
She married Charles D. Evans (“CD”) on June 9, 1950. At the time of CD’s death, they had been married for 52 years.
In addition to the full-time job of raising five children, Joyce also worked as a music teacher for Conway Conservatory of Music. She taught piano, guitar, accordion and other instruments. She was a kindergarten teacher for Trinity Baptist Church. Later she opened her own business, The Sewing Room, which she operated for over 30 years. She deigned and created custom draperies, bed coverings, decorative pillows, etc. for Ethan Allen Carriage House and other professional interior designers.
Joyce was a long-time member of Waldron Road Baptist Church where she played the piano. She was an avid reader and had a passion for writing poetry, music, oil painting, gardening, sewing, crocheting and playing the piano.
She was preceded in death by her husband, C.D. Evans; her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Wheeler; her sisters, Marie Bowman and Ruth Olson; her brother, James Wheeler.
She is survived by her brother Merl Wheeler and his wife Joanna; Children: Joy Crumbling and her husband Bob; Charles Evans and his wife, Sharon; Steve Evans; Catherine Arceneaux; and Tim Evans; grandchildren: Joshua Evans, Christopher Evans, Steven Arceneaux and Robert Fledderman; great granddaughter: Kayleigh Gillis and her daughters, Courtney and Rylin.
A Visitation will start at 12:00 pm to 1:45 pm on Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at Memory Gardens Funeral Home, 8200 Old Brownsville Rd. Corpus Christi, Texas 78415 with a Funeral Service to follow at 2:00 pm and burial at Memory Gardens Cemetery.
To leave an online condolence to the family, please visit www.memorygardensfuneralhome.com.
- Merl Wheeler (Joanna), Brother
- Joy Crumbling (Bob), Daughter
- Charles Evans (Sharon), Son
- Steve Evans, Son
- Catherine Arceneaux, Daughter
- Tim Evans, Son
- Joshua Evans, Grandchild
- Christopher Evans, Grandchild
- Steven Arceneaux, Grandchild
- Robert Fledderman, Grandchild
- Kayleigh Gillis (Her daughters, Courtney and Rylin), Great Grandchild
- Charles D. "CD" Evans, Husband (deceased)
- Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Wheeler, Parents (deceased)
- Marie Bowman, Sister (deceased)
- Ruth Olson, Sister (deceased)
- James Wheeler, Brother (deceased)
- Visitation Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- Funeral Service Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- Interment Wednesday, December 4, 2019