William Donald Strickland
July 13, 1927 – October 30, 2018
William Donald Strickland age 91 of West Point, died Tuesday, October 30, 2018. Don served in the Navy during WWII before graduating from Auburn and then obtaining a Master’s Degree from Vanderbilt University. He then taught for over 30 years, 20 of which was at West Point High School. While teaching he led the Future Farmers of America program to multiple state awards. Don was a council member and mayor of West Point; he was a Gideon and he served on the Mental Health Board. Mr. Strickland was a deacon and Sunday School Teacher at West Point 1st. Baptist Church. Don is survived by his wife, Vera Smith Kirby Strickland; son, Rudae Strickland (Iryna); daughter, Charmion Potts; stepsons: Herbert Kirby III (Denise), Robert Kirby, and Kerry Kirby; brothers: John Ray Strickland and Walter Strickland; 4 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren. Visitation is at West Point 1st Baptist Church on Friday, November 2, 2018 from 1:00 P.M. Celebration of Don’s life will begin at 2:00 P.M. Burial will follow in Hopewell Cemetery. Please visit mossservicefh.com to leave condolences for the family. Moss Service Funeral Home Directing.
In lieu of flowers, please donate to Gideons.
- Vera Smith Kirby Strickland, Wife
- Charmion Potts, Daughter
- Rudae (Iryna) Strickland, Son
- Herbert (Denise) Kirby III, Step Son
- Robert Kirby, Step Son
- Kerry Kirby, Step Son
- John Ray Strickland, Brother
- Walter Strickland, Brother
- Mr. Strickland also leaves 4 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren to cherish his memory.
- Visitation Friday, November 2, 2018
- Celebration of Life Friday, November 2, 2018
- Burial Friday, November 2, 2018