Nadine Julian Drake
July 11, 1927 – January 24, 2020
Nadine Julian Drake, age 92 passed away on Friday January 24, 2020. Nadine was born Monday July 11, 1927 in Sulphur Bluff, Texas to Myrtle Chester Julian and John Julian.
Nadine grew up in Sulphur Bluff, Texas in the country. Their house was so rural that they didn't even have electricity! She remembered how exciting it was when they got electricity. She was the fourth child of eleven. When she and her sister were old enough, they each had a baby brother or sister to care for when they got home from school.
She graduated from Sulphur Bluff High School Class of 1944.
She married the love of her life, James Drake on Friday October 25, 1946 and together they had three amazing children: daughter Cheryl and two sons Gary and Charles Drake. Nadine dedicated her life to raising her children and running "The Farm". Jim and Nadine were married 10 days short of 50 years when Jim passed away in 1996.
Nadine was affectionally known as "Grandmother" to her family. She loved quilting, fishing, reading and gardening. She was also a very talented seamstress. Her favorite place to be was on "The Farm" where she and Jim retired in 1986. She lived there on her beloved farm till 2015. You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl!
She absolutely adored her four grandchildren and then her ten great grandchildren. Some of her grandchildren's fondest memories where the times they spent with her on "The Farm".
"All I need today is a little bit of coffee and a whole lot of Jesus." Nadine’s favorite saying.
She will be greatly missed by many as a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and friend.
Nadine is survived by; Daughter Cheryl Andrews; Son and Daughter-in-law, Gary (Mary Jo) Drake; and Son Charles Drake, as well as siblings Gay Hopkins and Hoyle (Ann) Julian.
Nadine was preceded in death by her Husband Jim Drake; Father John Julian and Mother Myrtle Chester Julian; son-in-law Frank Andrews; eight siblings and her beloved Black Lab Blackie.
A Visitation for Nadine will be held Wednesday, January 29, 2020 from 12 PM to 1 PM with a Celebration of Life Service starting at 1 PM at Sparkman-Crane Funeral Home, 10501 Garland Road, Garland, Texas. A Graveside service will occur immediately following Celebration of Life starting at 2 PM at Grove Hill Memorial Park, 3920 Samuell Boulevard, Dallas, Texas.
Serving as Honorary Pallbearers are John Drake, Forrest Andrews, Colin Eliot, Michael Siefert, Julian Drake, Jude Drake and Graham Eliot.
The family would like to give special recognition to all the hard work and loving care that; Dr. Mirza Shabaz Hasan, Tammy Henderson, Kevin Shaner, Sarah Morriss, Chaplain Blane Brazier from Amity Hospice and the Staff at The Village at Mapleshade gave to them and Nadine.
In Lieu of flowers memorials may be made to Amity Hospice, 17311 North Dallas Parkway, Suite 125, Dallas 75248 or (Nadine’s grandson, John Drake’s, non-profit) Africa Windmill Project at www.africawindmill.org
Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.Sparkman-Crane.com for the Drake family.
- Cheryl Andrews, Daughter
- Gary (Mary Jo) Drake, Son and Daughter-in-law
- Charles Drake, Son
- John (Kimberley) Drake, Grandson and Granddaughter-in-law
- Forrest (Cathy) Andrews, Grandson and Granddaughter-in-law
- Amie (Michael) Siefert, Granddaughter and Grandson-in-law
- Katie (Colin) Eliot, Granddaughter and Grandson-in-law
- Julian Drake, Great Grandchild
- Elizabeth Siefert, Great Grandchild
- Jude Drake, Great Grandchild
- Abbie Siefert, Great Grandchild
- Graham Eliot, Great Grandchild
- Evelyn Eliot, Great Grandchild
- Emma Siefert, Great Grandchild
- Pax Drake, Great Grandchild
- Hannah Siefert, Great Grandchild
- Joy Drake, Great Grandchild
- Gay Hopkins, Sister
- Hoyle (Ann) Julian, Brother and Sister-in-law
- James Drake, Husband (deceased)
- John Julian, Father (deceased)
- Myrtle Chester Julian, Mother (deceased)
- Frank Andrews, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Beloved Black Lab Blackie, Furbaby (deceased)
- The family would like to give special recognition to Dr. Mirza Shabaz Hasan, Tammy Henderson, Kevin Shaner, Sarah Morriss and Chaplain Blane Brazier of Amity Hospice and the Staff at The Village at Mapleshade.
- John Drake, Honorary Pallbearer
- Forrest Andrews, Honorary Pallbearer
- Colin Eliot, Honorary Pallbearer
- Michael Siefert, Honorary Pallbearer
- Julian Drake, Honorary Pallbearer
- Jude Drake, Honorary Pallbearer
- Graham Eliot, Honorary Pallbearer
- Visitation Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- Funeral Service Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- Graveside Service Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Nadine Julian Drake
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
Gayle and John Brummett
January 27, 2020
John and I can’t express how much Nadine and Jim meant to us. Nadine was like a second Mom to me , and I like to think that we were her”other kids”. Having them next door for our children’s younger years was a good place to go for advice and fun. We are just sorry we lost her just when we moved close again. She will be missed. Love to all the family from Gayle and John.
January 27, 2020
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, Cheryl. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in these moments.
I love the picture of her with the snow capped mountain in the background. A beautiful woman indeed.