Drewsie Mae Carter
September 9, 1932 – November 18, 2021
Drewsie Mae Carter, 89, of Davenport, formerly of Chicago, passed away Thursday, November 18, 2021.
A celebration of her life will be Friday, December 3, 2021 at 12 pm at The Runge Mortuary & Crematory. There is no visitation. Her final resting place will be in Oakdale Memorial Gardens, Davenport. Memorials may go to the funeral home.
Drewsie was born September 9, 1932 in Vance, Mississippi. She was the daughter of Jessie Ray and Mattie Mae (Reddick) Gilmore. She married James Carter, Sr. in June, 1950, in Mississippi. He passed on February 14, 2000.
Prior to her retirement, she owned and operated many restaurants in the Chicago area as well as a candy store. Recently, she moved to the Quad Cities to be near her family. While known for her soul food, she also made wonderful cakes. She enjoyed gardening as well.
Those left to celebrate her life include her children: Genetta Bridgmon-Thomas, Davenport, IA, Jimmie Carter, Indianapolis, IN, Annie Carter-Harper, Davenport, IA, Ernest and Tommie Carter, both of Indianapolis, IN; numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren, and a great-great grandchild; her sister, Inez Gilmore-Sloan, Chicago, IL; and numerous nieces, nephews, and extended family members.
She was preceded in death by her parents; daughter, Carolyn Carter; son, James Carter, Jr.; grandsons, Paul Aquarius Thomas and Rantoul Carter; great grandchild, Rantour Carter; brothers, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Nebraska, and Joe Nathan Gilmore; sisters, Mary Lee Gilmore-Whitson and Bell Dora Gilmore-Matthews; sons-in-law, Paul S. Thomas and Ronald Harper; along with her special friend, Fletcher Covington.
May she rest in peace.
- Jessie Ray Gilmore, Father (deceased)
- Mattie Mae (Reddick) Gilmore, Mother (deceased)
- James Carter, Sr., Husband (deceased)
- Genetta Bridgmon-Thomas, Daughter
- Jimmie Carter, Son
- Annie Carter-Harper, Daughter
- Ernest Carter, Son
- Tommie Carter, Son
- Inez Gilmore-Sloan, Sister
- Carloyn Carter, Daughter (deceased)
- James Carter, Jr., Son (deceased)
- Paul Aquarius Thomas, Grandson (deceased)
- Rantoul Carter, Grandson (deceased)
- Rantour Carter, Great Grandchild (deceased)
- Isaiah Gilmore, Brother (deceased)
- Ezekiel Gilmore, Brother (deceased)
- Nebraska Gilmore, Brother (deceased)
- Joe Nathan Gilmore, Brother (deceased)
- Mary Lee Gilmore-Whitson, Sister (deceased)
- Bell Dora Gilmore-Matthews, Sister (deceased)
- Paul S. Thomas, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Ronald Harper, Son-in-law (deceased)
- Fletcher Covington, Special Friend (deceased)
- Also left to cherish her memory are numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren, great-great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and extended family members.
- the funeral home
Celebration of Life
Runge Mortuary & Crematory
Chapel~ Clicking on the link to join livestream will redirect you to our Facebook page. Services will remain able to view at any time.