Helen Jean Cooney
January 31, 1926 – January 19, 2021
Helen Jean Cooney, 94, of Bettendorf, passed away Tuesday, January 19, 2021 in Bettendorf.
A private family visitation will be held. Her final resting place will be in Davenport Memorial Park Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Genesis Hospice or VNA. Online condolences may be left at www.rungemortuary.com.
Helen was born January 31, 1926 in Davenport; the daughter of Willie Lawrence and Wilhelmina Marie (Schroeder) Showens. She married Thomas E. Cooney Sr. on July 12, 1942 in Kahoka, MO. He preceded her in death on April 7, 1994 She worked for several years until 1960 for the Fairfield Glove Factory and after moving out of Iowa, returned to Iowa and worked as a seamstress for a local slack factory. She retired in 1991 after several years in retail for Kmart. She enjoyed a simple life with her husband and greatly enjoyed crocheting, camping and fishing. Along with her husband, Helen bowled on area leagues for many years, almost daily.
Those left to honor her memory include her children: Jeanne A. (Richard) Sanderson, Camanche, IA, James L. Cooney, Geneseo, IL and Thomas E. (Teresa) Cooney, Jr., Camanche; 7 grandchildren, 11 great grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren.
In addition to her parents and husband, Helen, was preceded in death by sisters: Marion Showens and Phyllis Fierce and a brother, Kenneth.
- Willie Lawrence Showens, Father (deceased)
- Wilhelmina Marie (Schroeder) Showens, Mother (deceased)
- Jeanne A. Sanderson (Richard), Daughter
- James L. Cooney, Son
- Thomas E. Cooney Jr. (Teresa), Son
- Marion Showens, Sister (deceased)
- Phyllis Fierce, Sister (deceased)
- Kenneth Showens, Brother (deceased)
- Also left to cherish her memory are 7 grandchildren, 11 great grandchildren, and three great-great grandchildren.
- Genesis Hospice