Eldridge Everett Matthews
December 23, 1931 – January 9, 2019
SCPO (QM) Ret. Eldridge Everett Matthews of Dunn went to be with the Lord on Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in Fayetteville.
He was born on December 23, 1931 in Harnett County, North Carolina to the late James Everett Matthews and Mazie Gregory Matthews. He is also preceded in death by his beloved wife, Annie Rigsbee Matthews; son, Jon Michael Matthews; brother, Waggie Matthews; sisters, Eula Williams and Thelma Howard; and grandchild, Chad Everett Matthews.
Mr. Matthews proudly served his country in the U.S. Navy from 1952 until 1971 as Senior Chief Quarter Master prior to retirement. Following his service, he worked for Lester Phillips and M&M Services as an accountant, Burlington Industries, and other local firms in the area. He was devoted to his family and loved spending time with them. Eldridge was a man of deep faith who loved and followed the teachings of the Lord. He enjoyed reading, updating his geneology, working in his yard, and playing the guitar.
Left to cherish his memory are his children, Everett Eldridge Matthews (Jackie), Velvely Ann Matthews (Harold Williams) and Mary Lou McCorquodale (Billy Surles); Grandchildren, Jason Davis, Tanya Matthews, Kristin Davis Otero (Mark) and Heather McCorquodale Pope (Nick); great grandchildren, Malaki, Lexi and Whitni Royal; Azariah, Braeli and Jase Otero, Thomas, Jackson and Anna Pope; Friend in Christ, Pastor Weldon Byrd; and numerous other loving family and friends.
A funeral service will be held at 2 PM Saturday, January 12, 2019 at Sansom Community Church, 2896 Arrowhead Rd, Dunn, NC 28334. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the service at the church. Interment will follow at Devotional Gardens in Dunn with full Military Honors.
Arrangements are in the care of Cromartie Miller Funeral Home, 401 W. Cumberland Street, Dunn, NC 28334. 910.892.2077
- James Everett Matthews, Father
- Mazie Gregory Matthews, Mother
- Annie Laura Rigsby Matthews, Wife
- Jon Michael Matthews, Son
- Everett Eldridge Matthews and wife Jackie, Son
- Mary Lou McCorquodale and Billy Surles, Daughter
- Veverly Ann Matthews and Harold Williams, Daughter
- Waggie Matthews, Brother
- Eula Williams, Sister
- Thelma Howard, Sister
- Chad Everett Matthews, Grandson
- Jason Davis, Grandson
- Tanya Matthews, Granddaughter
- Kristin Davis Otero and husband Mark, Granddaughter
- Heather McCorquodale Pope and husband Nick, Granddaughter
- Malaki Royal, Great Grandchild
- Lexi Royal, Great Grandchild
- Whitni Royal, Great Grandchild
- Azariah Otero, Great Grandchild
- Braeli Otero, Great Grandchild
- Jase Otero, Great Grandchild
- Thomas Jackson, Great Grandchild
- Anna Pope, Grandchild
- Pastor Weldon Byrd, Friend In Christ
Chad Everett Matthews (deceased)
Kristin Davis Otero
- Family & Friends
- Visitation Saturday, January 12, 2019
- Funeral Service Saturday, January 12, 2019
Eldridge Everett Matthews
January 13, 2019
Eldridge was a good man. He convinced me to serve in the Navy on submarines. I’m glad I followed his advice. Fair winds and following seas!
Shelby Matthews Auch Faircloth
January 10, 2019
It’s never easy to let go of those we love even when we know they are in heaven with our Lord and other loved ones. I will always have such fond and loving memories of Uncle El. His soft spoken voice, gentle laughter and kind spirit are the gifts he left with me. Uncle El was one of the most kind, dignified and deeply respected men I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. Now resting in God’s peace as his loyal and faithful servant. 😇