Lawrence Edward Patterson
January 22, 1940 – December 11, 2018
Lawrence E. Patterson, 78
ERWIN — Lawrence Edward Patterson, 78, died Tuesday morning, Dec. 11, 2018, at the SECU Hospice House in Smithfield following a courageous battle for the second time with cancer.
He was born Jan. 22, 1940, in Atlanta, Ga., to the late James Madison Patterson and the late Elsie Florine Wells Sawyer. He grew up in Miami, Fla., and moved to Erwin in 1981.
Mr. Patterson retired from Austin Quality Foods (Kelloggs) in Cary as an industrial maintenance mechanic. He was a member of Sansom Community Church.
He was preceded in death by a daughter, April Lyn Patterson Loveless; his sister, Linda P. Rainsville; and brothers, Junior, Gene, Marion, Billy, Richard and Ronald Patterson.
Survivors include his wife of close to 59 years, Jessie Hodges Patterson; daughter, Laura Ruth Patterson of Dunn; grandchildren, Candace Hoover and husband Dan of Erwin, Joshua Walsh and wife Maranda of Dunn, Christa Eason and fiance Nico Ciambotti of Charlotte, and Amber Crane and husband Trey of Suffolk, Va.; great-grandchildren, Amara and Connor Walsh, Ethan and Isaac Hoover and Sawyer Crane; son-in-law, Doug Loveless of Erwin; sister, Barbara Almyda and husband J.R. of Interlachen, Fla.; brother, Buddy Patterson of Orlando, Fla.; sisters-in-law, Joyce Anderson of Angier, Jean Romines and husband Oliver of Sevierville, Tenn., Paulette Kennison and husband Bobby of Godwin; Mary Patterson of Lake City, Fla., and Donna Patterson of Sarasota, Fla.; brothers-in-law, Tommy Hodges of Midlothian, Va., Larry Hodges of Cullman, Ala., and Jerry Hodges and wife Susie of Dunn; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Friday, December 14, 2018 at Sansom Community Church outside of Dunn with the Rev. Jerome Pope and Rev. Joshua Walsh presiding. A visitation will be one hour prior to the funeral service at the church. Burial will follow at Greenwood Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks memorials be made in honor of Mr. Patterson to SECU Hospice House, 26 Hospital Road, Smithfield, NC 27577.
Arrangements are in the care of Cromartie-Miller Funerals & Cremations, Dunn.
Online condolences may be expressed at www.cromartiemiller.com.
- James Madison Patterson, Father
- Elsie Florine Wells Sawyer, Mother
- Jessie Hodges Patterson, Wife
- Laura Ruth Patterson, Daughter
- April Lyn Patterson Loveless, Daughter
- Doug Loveless, Son-in-law
- Candace Hoover and husband Dan, Granddaughter
- Joshua Walsh and wife Maranda, Grandson
- Christa Eason and fiance Nico Chiambotti, Granddaughter
- Amber Crane and husband Trey, Granddaughter
- Amara Walsh, Great Grandchild
- Connor Walsh, Great Grandchild
- Ethan Hoover, Great Grandchild
- Isaac Hoover, Great Grandchild
- Sawyer Crane, Great Grandchild
- Barbara Almyda and husband J.R., Sister
- Linda P. Rainsville, Sister
- Buddy Patterson, Brother
- Junior Patterson, Brother
- Gene Patterson, Brother
- Marion Patterson, Brother
- Billy Patterson, Brother
- Richard Patterson, Brother
- Ronald Patterson, Brother
- Joyce Anderson, Sister-in-law
- Jean Romines and husband Oliver, Sister-in-law
- Paulette Kennison and husband Bobby, Sister-in-law
- Mary Patterson, Sister-in-law
- Donna Patterson, Sister-in-law
- Tommy Hodges, Brother-in-law
- Larry Hodges, Brother-in-law
- Jerry Hodges, Brother-in-law
SECU Hospice House
26 Hospital Road, Smithfield , North Carolina 27577
- Visitation Friday, December 14, 2018
- Funeral Service Friday, December 14, 2018
Lawrence Edward Patterson
December 13, 2018
Lawrence Patterson was a devoted family man and a fine Christian gentleman. He loved his family, his friends, his church, & his Savior. I always admired his love and devotion to Jessie. He was truly a good, kind man & will be greatly missed by all. Our Sunday School class has lost a precious member, but Heaven has gained another angel. We love you, Lawrence, and look forward to seeing you again in glory where together we can worship God throughout eternity. -Dianne and Bobby Horne