Melba Doris Tew
October 10, 1930 – May 6, 2020
Melba Doris Tew, of Robert’s Grove Road in Dunn passed away on Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at Senior Citizens Village being 89 years of age. She was born on October 10, 1930 in Sampson County to the late Leroy Walton Strickland and the late Annie Jane Denning Strickland. In addition to her parents she was preceded in death by her husband: Carl Hoover Tew; Sisters: Lola Strickland Westbrook, Flossie Mae Strickland Bass, Annie Lou Strickland Wooten and Sara Francis Lee; Brothers: John Herman Strickland, Lee Carlton Strickland and Vernon W. Strickland. In her early years, Doris worked for Wellons Candy Company and Hamilton Beach and later at Senior Citizens Village. At the age of 69, Doris decided to return to school and earned her Certified Nurse’s Aide certification and went to work as a private home health care provider. She was a lifelong member of Roberts Grove Original Free Will Baptist Church. She loved her church family and her community. She was married to the love of her life, Carl Hoover Tew for over 64 years before his passing. They traveled thousands of miles, touring the country. They took countless bus tours together and went to Cragmont with the Robert’s Grove Church group numerous times. Doris loved to sit and listen to her gospel music and Elvis. Over the years she went to all but four of the Benson Grove Sings. She enjoyed gardening and spending time in the great outdoors. She loved spending time with her Grandkids and Great Grandkids. She and Carl Hoover are now together forever!
Doris leaves behind to honor her legacy, her daughter: Sharon Rose Tew Hooton and husband David of Spivey’s Corner; Granddaughters: Jill Hooton Smith and husband Scot of Fayetteville and Hollie Meininger and husband Nick of Fayetteville; Great-Grandchildren: Gavin Smith, Graham Smith and Olivia Meininger.
A time of visitation will be held from 2:00 PM until 4:00 PM at Cromartie-Miller Funeral Home on Friday, May 8, 2020.
Due to current health concerns, there will be a private graveside service with Dr. Ricky Warren officiating. She will be laid to rest in the Robert’s Grove Church Cemetery.
In lieu of customary remembrances, memorial contributions may be made to Robert’s Grove Original Free Will Baptist Church, P.O. Box 1173, Dunn, North Carolina 28335 or Liberty Hospice 105 Hunt Valley Drive, Dunn, North Carolina 28334.
All arrangements are entrusted to Cromartie-Miller Funeral Home of Dunn.
- Leroy Walton Strickland, Father (deceased)
- Annie Jane Denning Strickland, Mother (deceased)
- Carl Hoover Tew, Husband (deceased)
- Sharon Rose Tew Hooton and husband David, Daughter
- Jill Hooton Smith and husband Scot, Granddaughter
- Hollie Meininger and husband Nick, Granddaugher
- Gavin Smith, Great Grandson
- Graham Smith, Great Grandson
- Olivia Meininger, Great Granddaughter
- Lola Strickland Westbrook, Sister (deceased)
- Flossie Mae Strickland Bass, Sister (deceased)
- Annie Lou Strickland Wooten, Sister (deceased)
- Sara Francis Strickland Lee, Sister (deceased)
- John Herman Strickland, Brother (deceased)
- Lee Carlton Strickland, Brother (deceased)
- Vernon W. Strickland, Brother (deceased)
Learn more about the Tew name
105 Hunt Valley Drive, Dunn, North Carolina 28334
Robert's Grove Original Free Will Baptist Church
PO BOX 1173 , Dunn, North Carolina 28335
Receiving Of Friends
Friday, May 8, 2020