James W. "Smitty" Smith Jr.
October 11, 1957 – June 19, 2019
James W. “Smitty” Smith, Jr, age 61, of Deer Creek, passed away Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 8:35 p.m. at the OSF St Francis Medical Center in Peoria. He was born Oct. 11, 1957 in Peoria to James and Shirley (Harmon) Smith. He first married Dawn Tannehill and then later met and spent the remainder of his life with his partner and life companion Margaret Everts. She survives along with his mother, Shirley Smith of Peoria, two children: Shawn (Julia) Smith of Hanna City, Terra Smith of Farmington, six grandchildren, and three sisters: Joy (Rick) Walters of Morris, Luci (David) Sutter of Bartonville, Tina (Jason) Redmond of Canton and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his father, four sisters: Nola, Betty, Cheryl, Kari, and one grandson, Carter. Smitty worked at United Van Lines for 20 years. He enjoyed working on his cars, fishing, building models, or listening to his music. He could make a friend at a glance and could make anybody laugh. He was deeply loved and will be missed by all who knew him. Cremation rites have been accorded. A celebration of Smitty’s life will be Friday, June 28, 2019 from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Remmert Funeral Home in East Peoria. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society. You may view Smitty’s obituary online at www.remmertfunealhome.com
- James Smith Sr., Father
- Shirley (Harmon) Smith, Mother
- Margaret Everts, Life Campanion
- Shawn (Julia) Smith, Children
- Terra Smith, Children
- ~ six ~, Grandchildren
- Joy (Rick) Walters, Sister
- Luci (David) Sutter, Sister
- Tina (Jason) Redmond, Sister
- ~ Several ~, Nieces and Nephews
- He was preceded in death by his father, four sisters: Nola, Betty, Cheryl, Kari, and one grandson, Carter.
- American Cancer Society
- Celebration of Smitty's Life Friday, June 28, 2019