Clarence Samuel Shaw, Jr.
October 11, 1938 – January 5, 2020
Clarence Samuel “Sam” Shaw, Jr., passed away on Sunday, January 5, 2020 at home. Sam was born October 11, 1938 in Evansville, IN to Clarence Samuel, Sr. and Katherine M. (Pack) Shaw.
He attended Bosse High School and enlisted with the US Marine Corps upon graduation in 1956. Sam married his wife, Linda, in 1961. They spent a long, beautiful life together in the home they built on the west side. Sam’s largest source of joy in his life was his family. He loved nothing more than seeing all of his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren together. Sam was an electrical lineman at Sigeco for 35 years and was a long time member of the West Side Nut Club where he served as president in 2012. He was also a huge supporter of Riding Hope.
Sam was preceded in death by his parents; and loving wife, Linda (Marx) Shaw, in 2016.
He is survived by his children Eric (Madonna) Shaw, Amy Higginbotham, grandchildren Ericka (Jarad) Basham, Dustin (Natalie) Shaw, Nicole Dealph, Linsey Higginbotham, and great-grandchildren Brookelyn and Wesley Basham, Hudson and Lainey Shaw, and Logan and Wade Dealph; sister, Greta Baird; nieces, nephews, cousins, and lifelong friend and fellow marine, Mike Mcellhiney.
Funeral Services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 9, 2020, at Alexander Memorial Park Heritage Chapel officiated by Dennis Nettles. Friends may visit at Alexander West Chapel from 2:00 – 7:00 p.m on Wednesday and Thursday 9:30 a.m. until service time at the cemetery chapel. The Vanderburgh County Retired Veterans Memorial Club will conduct military services at the cemetery.
Sam’s family would like to extend their deepest gratitude toward Dr. Richard Wagner and his staff, Sue, Whitney, and all staff at West River Health Campus, and the staff of units 5100 and 5200 at Deaconess Midtown.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made payable to Riding Hope and mailed to Riding Hope, Inc., c/o Beth Tromley, 3311 David Drive, Mount Vernon, Indiana 47620.
- Eric Shaw (Madonna Shaw), Son
- Amy Higginbotham, Daughter
- Ericka Basham (Jarad Basham), Grandchild
- Dustin Shaw (Natalie Shaw), Grandchild
- Nicole Dealph, Grandchild
- Linsey Higginbotham, Grandchild
- Brookelyn Basham, Great Grandchild
- Wesley Basham, Great Grandchild
- Hudson Shaw, Great Grandchild
- Lainey Shaw, Great Grandchild
- Logan Dealph, Great Grandchild
- Wade Dealph, Great Grandchild
- Greta Baird, Sister
- Linda (Marx) Shaw, Wife (deceased)
- Clarence Samuel Shaw, Sr., Father (deceased)
- Katherine M. (Pack) Shaw, Mother (deceased)
- Sam also leaves behind nieces, nephews, cousins and his lifelong friend and fellow marine, Mike Mcellhiney to cherish his memory.
- Visitation Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Visitation At Alexander Memorial Park Heritage Chapel Thursday, January 9, 2020
- Funeral Service Thursday, January 9, 2020
- Entombment Thursday, January 9, 2020
Clarence Samuel Shaw, Jr.
Michael McEllhiney Jr
January 6, 2020
As long as I can remember Sam and Linda, Eric, and Amy were part of my life. Not relatives, but I always regarded them as Aunt Linda and Uncle Sam. My Dad Mike Sr, regarded Sam as his best life long friend. I have so many great and wonderful memories of Sam. His booming laugh, his sense of humor, but most of all how he always made me feel welcome. It is this I will remember most. Sam has left a permanent smile on my heart. There will never be another like him.