Dorothy H. Oakley
May 17, 1925 – October 27, 2019
Dorothy Helen Oakley 94, of Indianapolis, IN, passed away Wednesday October 27, 2019 at her home from heart failure.
Dorothy was born in Slaughters, Kentucky on May 17, 1925 to the late Charles (Doc) and Opal Floyd. She graduated from Central High School in Evansville.
Dorothy is survived by her two sons; G. Thomas Oakley Jr. of Newburgh, IN. and Dr. Gerald Oakley of Indianapolis IN. She was preceded in death by her beloved husband, Garland Thomas Oakley.
Dorothy was a true Southern Baptist and was a member of Grace Baptist Church in Evansville, IN since the age of nine. Dorothy loved children and worked as a kindergarten assistant for the Evansville Vanderburgh County School Corporation from 1954 until she retired in 1983. A scholarship was established in her and Thomas’s name at Central High School.
Viewing will be held Friday evening from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. and a memorial service by Pastor Alan Scott will be held Saturday, November 2, 2019 at Alexander East Chapel, 2115 Lincoln Avenue in Evansville, IN at 1:00 p.m., followed by burial at Mt. Gilead Cemetery in Slaughters, KY. You are invited to attend and tell your favorite remembrances about Dorothy.
In lieu of flowers, please send memorial contributions to Grace Baptist Church or Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation.
- Dr. Gerald Oakley, Son
- G. Thomas Oakley Jr., Son
- Mark T. Oakley, Grandson
- Susan Burge, Granddaughter
- Linda Oakley, Granddaughter
- G. Thomas Oakley Sr., Husband (deceased)
- Charles M. Floyd, Father (deceased)
- Opal R. (Marks) Floyd, Mother (deceased)
- Dorothy also leaves behind 4 great-granddaughters and 4 great-grandsons to cherish her memory.
- Visitation Friday, November 1, 2019
- Visitation Saturday, November 2, 2019
- Funeral Service Saturday, November 2, 2019
- Burial Saturday, November 2, 2019