Elsie Lee Smith Lemmons
March 8, 1922 – March 21, 2020
Elsie Lee Smith Lemmons, 98, of Newburgh, passed away on Saturday, March 21, 2020. She was born on March 8, 1922, in Fayetteville, Tennessee, to the late Homer Pleasant and Ruth Dexter (Taylor) Smith.
Elsie was a “Rosie the Riviter” in the wartime effort in Evansville, Indiana. She was a dedicated Christian and a member of Crossroads Church. Elsie enjoyed sewing and crocheting. She was very athletic; swimming, ice skating, roller skating, and water skiing.
She was preceded in death by parents; husband of 63 years, Vance W. Lemmons; brothers, Homer P. Smith, Jr., William E. Smith, and Joe Smith; and sister, Frances.
Elsie is survived by sons, Gary M. Lemmons and Randall P. Lemmons (Susan); grandchildren, Shaneen Blake, Crystal Willard, Christopher Lemmons and Tarina Reed; many great grandchildren; sister-in-law, Rebecca Lemmons; and close friends, Polly Dewig and Jean Prather.
A Funeral Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at Alexander East Chapel, officiated by Pastor Cliff Herring, with burial in Sunset Memorial Park. Friends may visit Tuesday, from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. and Wednesday, from 10:00 a.m. until service time at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to Alzheimer’s Foundation. Condolences may be made online at www.AlexanderEastChapel.com.
- Gary M. Lemmons, Son
- Randall P. Lemmons (Susan), Son
- Shaneen Blake, Grandchild
- Crystal Willard, Grandchild
- Christopher Lemmons, Grandchild
- Tarina Reed, Grandchild
- Rebecca Lemmons, Sister-In-Law
- Polly Dewig, Close Friend
- Jean Prather, Close Friend
- Vance W. Lemmons, Husband (deceased)
- Homer Pleasant Smith, Father (deceased)
- Ruth Dexter (Taylor) Smith, Mother (deceased)
- Homer P. Smith, Jr., Brother (deceased)
- William E. Smith, Brother (deceased)
- Joe Smith, Brother (deceased)
- Frances, Sister (deceased)
- Mrs. Lemmons has many great grandchildren to cherish her memory.
- Visitation Tuesday, March 24, 2020
- Visitation Wednesday, March 25, 2020
- Funeral Service Wednesday, March 25, 2020
- Burial Wednesday, March 25, 2020
Elsie Lee Smith Lemmons
March 25, 2020
Today we say goodby to my sweet sister inlaw.We have shared many things through all the years,We had many family get togethers through all the years.I watched her 2 boys Gary and Randy grow up ,my heart goes out to them for the loss of their dear devoted mother.May God give us peace and the comfort we need at this time.
March 22, 2020
I enjoyed being a neighbor to Elsie for many years . We used to take walks together in our neighborhood.