Merlin E Morris
November 26, 1937 – September 9, 2019
Merlin E. Morris, 81, of Evansville, Indiana, passed away on Monday, September 9, 2019. He was born on November 26, 1937 in Matthews, Missouri to the late Jess and Lula Mae (Beard) Morris.
He was the head instructor and program director for the Martial Arts Program at the YMCA from 1970-1994 as well as the summer Judo Programs at Camp Carson in Princeton, IN. Merlin was the staff teacher for the Judo Program at UE from 1976-1990 and was the Indiana State Judo Coach for several years in the 1970’s. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1955-1961, the Navy Reserves until 1992 and the U.S. Army Reserves from 1992-1994. Merlin worked for the City of Evansville for over 30 years, retiring as the Director of Code Enforcement. He was a loving husband, father, and Grandad who was very devoted to his family.
In addition to his parents, Merlin was preceded in death by two brothers, Dale Morris and Vernon Morris; three sisters, Edith Launius, Irene Hendrix and Anna Lee Morris; and an infant son, David.
He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Jessie Colleen (Newman) Morris; sons, Timothy E. Morris and Gary W. Morris (Dee) both of Evansville; daughter, Julie C. Morris of Evansville; grandchildren, Jarred T. Morris, Justin A. Morris, Nicolette A. Bland, Nicolas A. Bland, Alexander Bland, Jacob E. Morris and Danielle E. Morris.
Funeral Services will be held 11:00 a.m. Saturday, September 14, 2019 at Alexander East Chapel with burial to follow at Alexander Memorial Park. Friends may visit on Friday 4-7pm and Saturday 10am until service time at the funeral home.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Arthritis Foundation, 700 N. Weinbach Ave, Evansville, IN 47711.
- Jessie C. (Newman) Morris, Wife
- Timothy E. Morris, Son
- Gary W. Morris, Son
- Dee Morris, Daughter-in-law
- Julie C. Morris, Daughter
- Jarred T. Morris, Grandchild
- Justin A. Morris, Grandchild
- Nicolette A. Bland, Grandchild
- Nicolas A. Bland, Grandchild
- Alexander Bland, Grandchild
- Jacob E. Morris, Grandchild
- Danielle E. Morris, Grandchild
- Jess Morris, Father (deceased)
- Lula M. (Beard) Morris, Mother (deceased)
- David Morris, Son (deceased)
- Dale Morris, Brother (deceased)
- Vernon Morris, Brother (deceased)
- Edith Launius, Sister (deceased)
- Irene Hendrix, Sister (deceased)
- Anna Lee Morris, Sister (deceased)
- Visitation Friday, September 13, 2019
- Visitation Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Funeral Service Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Burial Saturday, September 14, 2019
Merlin E Morris
September 10, 2019
I met Merlin over 50 years ago when he became not only my Sensei, but over the years grew into a family member. He was a great man that was willing to share his wealth of knowledge with others to make them better. I respect and thank him for making me better and giving me a solid foundation to build my character. My thoughts and prayers to the entire family.🙏🏻❤️