Master Sergeant Charlie J. Mares
December 25, 1919 – July 31, 1950
Master Sergeant Charlie John Mares, of Cistern, was reported MIA in the Korean War.
Without evidence of continued survival, the US Army issued a presumptive Finding of Death of December 31, 1953.
On February 4, 2019, Charlie’s remains were positively identified and the family was notified.
Charlie J. Mares was born on December 25, 1919 to Cyril Joseph Mares and Augustina Othal Mares.
He is survived by a sister, Catherine Mares Camp of New Braunfels, numerous nieces, and nephews. He is preceded in death by his parents, a sister Sister Callista, and brothers William, Felix, John W., and George.
He will be buried with Full Military Honors.
Visitation will begin at 12:00pm Thursday, March 28, 2019 at the Smith Funeral Home Chapel (Flatonia) followed by a Rosary at 7:00pm. Funeral Mass will be held at 11:00am Friday, March 29, 2019 at Sts. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church (Cistern). Burial will follow at Sts. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Cemetery in Cistern.
Words of comfort can be expressed online at www.SmithFuneralHomeFlatonia.com - Smith Funeral Home 128 East 5th Street Flatonia, Texas 78941 361-865-3311 -
- Cyril Joseph Mares, Father (deceased)
- Augustina Othal Mares, Mother (deceased)
- William Mares, Brother (deceased)
- Felix Mares, Brother (deceased)
- John W. Mares, Brother (deceased)
- George Mares, Brother (deceased)
- Sister Callista Mares, Sister (deceased)
- Catherine (Mares) Camp, Sister
- Mr. Mares is also leaves numerous nieces and nephews to cherish his memory.
- Visitation Thursday, March 28, 2019
- Rosary Thursday, March 28, 2019
- Funeral Mass Friday, March 29, 2019
- Burial Friday, March 29, 2019