James "Red" Harry Hawkins Jr.
September 4, 1943 – March 27, 2018
An avid hunter, fisherman and bird breeder was a way of life for Red…
James “Red” Harry Hawkins, Jr., age 74, passed away on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at the Caromont Regional Medical Center in Gastonia. Red had many accolades in his life, he and his wife Gail loved to travel the United States together. He retired from Wix after 44 years of dedicated service. Of all of his accomplishments in life, Red will be best remembered as a loving and caring husband, father, grandfather, great grandfather and friend to many.
Mr. Hawkins is survived by his loving wife of 32 years, Gail Dellinger Hawkins; three daughters and sons in law: Jama Arnold Heffner and husband Michael, Michele Barnes Roberts and husband Barney, Staci Lipscomb all of Gastonia, North Carolina; five grandchildren: Brittany Barnes, Dustin Lipscomb, Hollis Lipscomb, Megan Lipscomb and Carley Lipscomb; twelve great grandchildren; one brother Eddie Neal Hawkins; former wife and friend: Phyllis Hawkins Gunning.
Red was the son of the late James Harry Hawkins, Sr. and Josephine Wise Hawkins.
A Life Well Celebrated Ceremony will be held at 2:00 PM, Saturday, March 31, 2018 in the Chapel of Carothers Funeral, 2205 Williamsburg Drive, Gastonia, North Carolina with Bishop Ron Duncan and Pastor Jody Freeman to deliver words of comfort and hope to Red’s family and friends.
Graveside and committal will follow at Olney Presbyterian Church Cemetery, 251 Olney Church Road, Gastonia, North Carolina 28056.
The family will receive guests from 12:00 PM ~ 2:00 PM prior to the service.
Those who wish to express words of comfort and share fond memories can visit Red’s guestbook at www.carothersfuneralhomegastonia.com
Carothers Funeral Home at Gaston Memorial Park is honored to serve the family of James “Red” Hawkins, Jr.
- James Harry Hawkins Sr., Father Deceased
- Josephine Wise Hawkins, Mother Deceased
- Gail Dellinger Hawkins, Wife
- Phyllis Hawkins Gunning, Former Wife and Friend
- Jama Arnold Heffner, Daughter
- Michael Heffner, Son-in-law
- Michele Barnes Roberts, Daughter
- Barney Roberts, Son-in-law
- Brittany Barnes, Granddaughter
- Staci Hawkins Lipscomb, Daughter
- Dustin Lipscomb, Grandson
- Hollis Lipscomb, Granddaughter
- Megan Lipscomb, Granddaughter
- Carley Lipscomb, Granddaughter
- Eddie Neal Hawkins, Brother
- Twelve great grandchildren also survive.
- Eddie Neal Hawkins
- Dustin Lipscomb
- Michael Heffner
- Ernest Human
- Megan Lipscomb
- Carley Lipscomb
- Receiving of Guests Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Life Well Celebrated Ceremony Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Graveside and Committal Service Saturday, March 31, 2018
James "Red" Harry Hawkins Jr.
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
receive updates when new memories are postedRECEIVE UPDATES
March 31, 2018
Red was a good man and he will be missed . I worked for Red at wix and I don't know of anyone who didn't like the man . R.I.P my friend . My heart and prayers goes out to Gail and the family