Phat Tan Nguyen
July 24, 1955 – June 3, 2019
On Monday, June 3, Sake Express founder Phat Tan Nguyen passed away. He was not only an esteemed and beloved leader for his family, but also a leader of a popular local business and the Gaston County community. He was born July 24, 1955, passing away Monday at 12:50 a.m., at CaroMont Regional Medical Center. He founded Sake Express in Gastonia in 1998.
On Saturday, June 8, all Sake Express locations – Belmont, Gastonia and Mt. Holly – will close in honor of Phat Nguyen. This day-long tribute will provide Sake Express’ grieving restaurant family and followers a moment to recognize and remember Nguyen’s life and legacy within the greater Gaston County region.
Here are a few extra details on Nguyen and his impact on the area:
· Nguyen was drafted, fighting in the Vietnam War with Americans. He was captured by the Viet Cong and held as a prisoner of war. He fled to the Philippines then the U.S., by sponsor, to begin a new life.
· Prior to Sake Express, Nguyen and his wife, Nga Tran – whom he met in Gaston County, N.C. – worked in a factory together (SCT, later changing to Carlton Farm Mill). They strived to create a better life. The couple later owned and operated three coin-laundry locations, using many funds earned at the factory. All three were sold toward their dream of owning a restaurant.
· Their first restaurant was located in Florence, S.C.
· Their next restaurant, Sake Express, was on New Hope Road in Gastonia. It later relocated to nearby East Franklin Boulevard, which remains today.
· Nguyen’s daughters, Lisa Nguyen and Linda Nguyen Park, assumed ownership and operations in 2004, several years after both began working at Sake Express as teenagers.
Nguyen’s daughters shared comments about their father as well:
Lisa Nguyen, “My father’s life has ended but his legacy of wisdom, integrity and courage will go on forever.”
Linda Nguyen Park, “His presence is still instilled in Lisa and me every day. He taught us the meaning of hard work, compassion, communication, respect and love – that hard work and dreams can come true and never give up on them. He was our rock, hero and the core of our lives. Everything Lisa and I have today is from the foundation my father and mother taught us.”
- Receiving of Guests Friday, June 7, 2019
- Receiving of Guests Saturday, June 8, 2019
- Graveside and Committal Service Saturday, June 8, 2019
Phat Tan Nguyen
June 7, 2019
Sự mất mát của một người thân yêu có thể rất khó khăn nhưng may mắn là Đức Chúa Trời yêu thương của chúng ta hứa hẹn với chúng ta rằng chúng ta sẽ sớm được gặp lại những người thân yêu của mình một lần nữa. Bạn có thể tìm thấy sự thoải mái trong câu thánh thư này: "Từ sức mạnh của Ngôi mộ tôi sẽ chuộc chúng; Từ cái chết, tôi sẽ phục hồi chúng." Ô-sê 13:14