Sonya Marie (Martin) George
March 23, 1934 – June 27, 2020
Sonya Marie (Martin) George, 86, passed away on June 27, 2020. Sonya was born near Callao, Missouri on March 23, 1934 to George “Babe” and Dorothy (Phipps) Martin. She was a 1952 graduate of Callao High School.
Sonya married Bob George on October 28, 1952 in Little Rock, Arkansas. They made their home in the Gladstone area nearly 60 years and owned George's Music Service for 23 years. Bob and Sonya had two sons, Richard Grant and David Keith. Bob preceded her in death in 1999.
Sonya was devoted Christian and a lifelong member of the Barry Christian Church. She was a Deacon, Board Member, Membership Secretary, choir member, and volunteered countless hours for church events.
In addition to her love of music, Sonya's hands were never idle. She loved to sew, embroider and quilt. She cooked for many memorable family dinners and reunions; and was an integral part of the Barry Christian Church annual turkey dinner. She enjoyed playing cards with her beloved friends and family and passed that joy along to new generations. She loved to send birthday cards and Christmas cards. Her arms were always outstretched, hugging or holding her family – reaching out in love and always willing to listen and teach. Sonya also loved to travel, had a knack for fishing, and was a die-hard Kansas City Royals fan.
Sonya was preceded in death by – her parents; her husband; her sister, Sharon Skinner; and great-grandson, Aiden Shoop.
She is survived by her two sons - Rick and Janet George of Smithville, Mo.; and Keith and Sherrie George of Lawson, Mo.; two brothers – Johnny and Phyllis Martin, Bucyrus, Kansas; and, Kevin and Auria Martin, Mountain View, California; one sister – Jeanie and Ralph Livingston, Bevier, Mo.; one sister-in-law, Mary Jane Ford, Overland Park, Kansas; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Grandchildren – Becky and Trevor Black, Plattsburg, Mo.; JoAnn and Dave Harper, Kansas City, Mo.; David and Jodi George, Lawson, Mo.; Misty and Mark Leatherman, Kansas City, Mo.; Geni and Quaid Shoop, Liberty, Mo.; Jessie and Joe Lewis, Independence, Mo.; Kristi and Charles Benson, Blue Springs, Mo.; Meshanne Black, Plattsburg, Mo.; and Nick Black, Kansas City, Mo.
Great Grandchildren - Clint Black and fiancé, Brianna Smith, Kate Black, Adam Harper, Haley George, Denny George, Bo Leatherman, Allison Leatherman, Alexa Shoop, Ollie Shoop, Remi Shoop, Joey Lewis, Hannah Lewis, Nick Dixon, Brendon Lewis, Linda Lewis, Lia Spangler, Andrew Shepard, Cole Shepard, Charlotte Benson, Alex Black, Beau Black, Logan Lewis and Haley Jean Lewis.
Due to CoVid-19 restrictions, the family will hold a private family service at Barry Christian Church, with burial to follow at Barry Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent in memory of Sonya George to Barry Christian Church, 1500 NW Barry Road, Kansas City, Missouri, 64155.
"Honor her for all that her hands have done; and let her own works praise her in the gates." Proverbs 31:31
- George "Babe" Martin, Father (deceased)
- Dorothy (Phipps) Martin, Mother (deceased)
- Bob George, Husband (deceased)
- Rick George (Janet), Son
- Keith George (Sherrie), Son
- Sharon Skinner, Sister (deceased)
- Johnny Martin (Phyllis), Brother
- Kevin Martin (Auria), Brother
- Jeanie Livingston (Ralph), Sister
- Mary Jane Ford, Sister-in-law
- Beck Black (Trevor), Grandchildren
- JoAnn Harper (Dave), Grandchildren
- David George (Jodi), Grandchildren
- Misty Leatherman (Mark), Grandchildren
- Geni Shoop (Quaid), Grandchildren
- Jessie Lewis (Joe), Grandchildren
- Kristi Benson (Charles), Grandchildren
- Meshanne Black, Grandchildren
- Nick Black, Grandchildren
- Clint Black (Fiance, Brianna Smith), Great Grandchildren
- Kate Black, Great Grandchildren
- Adam Harper, Great Grandchildren
- Haley George, Great Grandchildren
- Denny George, Great Grandchildren
- Bo Leatherman, Great Grandchildren
- Allison Leatherman, Great Grandchildren
- Alexa Shoop, Great Grandchildren
- Ollie Shoop, Great Grandchildren
- Remi Shoop, Great Grandchildren
- Joey Lewis, Great Grandchildren
- Hannah Lewis, Great Grandchildren
- Nick Dixon, Great Grandchildren
- Brendon Lewis, Great Grandchildren
- Linda Lewis, Great Grandchildren
- Lia Spangler, Great Grandchildren
- Andrew Shepard, Great Grandchildren
- Cole Shepard, Great Grandchildren
- Charlotte Benson, Great Grandchildren
- Alex Black, Great Grandchildren
- Beau Black, Great Grandchildren
- Logan Lewis, Great Grandchildren
- Haley Jean Lewis, Great Grandchildren
- Trevor Black
- Dave Harper
- Quaid Shoop
- Joe Lewis
- Mark Leatherman
- David George
- Clint Black
- Denny George
- Bo Leatherman
- Barry Christian Church
No public services are scheduled at this time. Receive a notification when services are updated.
Sonya Marie (Martin) George
July 6, 2020
She was a wonderful person.
Her smile, her wit. Always willing to help with church events
July 2, 2020
I attended Barry Christian Church with Sonya. She was always a sweet and caring person, and I always enjoyed being around her. To her family: May God wrap His loving arms around you and give you peace. God Bless You.
July 1, 2020
I only met her once at a Family dinner. Our conversation turned to cards. To my delight She was a hand and foot player as I am. A lovely Lady.
June 30, 2020
Love and miss you. Every one of our outings were an adventure. I'm going to miss them so much. Eating Scooby snacks today in your honor...lol....Love
June 29, 2020
Sonya was such a sweet lady that is going to be missed. She was fun and interesting to visit with. Gone but not forgotten
June 29, 2020
She was my card playing friend. A beautiful soul that I will miss here on earth
Tony & Carol Huddleston
June 29, 2020
Sonya was always so much fun and interesting to talk to. We enjoyed being around her at the Martin Reunions.
Our thoughts and Prayers are with Sonya and May God Bless her Family.