August 20, 1930 – July 5, 2018
Bobbie Sue “Pat” Patterson Simpson, devoted mother and wife, 87, of Mauldin, passed away peacefully Thursday, July 5, 2018. She was born August 20, 1930, to Remell and John S. Patterson, Sr. in Anderson, SC.
Pat graduated from the Anderson School of Nursing and enjoyed a career as an RN with the Greenville Hospital System before retiring. An avid bridge player, who loved her rose garden, she was preceded in death by an infant son, Philip Bennett; sisters, Betty Jean Giles and Wilma Neal; and her three brothers: Melvin E., John S. Jr., and Michael Lum.
Pat is survived by her loving husband of 67 years, Virgil Bennett Simpson; daughters, Janet Gilchrist (Martin) of Orangeburg, SC, and Emily Helmick of Jacksonville, FL; grandchildren, Martin Gilchrist III (Katie) and Ashley Helmick; and great-grandchildren: Mary Grace, Bennett, and George Gilchrist.
Sign online guestbook: www.mackeymortuary.com.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 AM Saturday, July 7, 2018, at Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church in Mauldin with Rev. Patricia Gwinn and Dr. Darren Bess officiating. The family will receive friends and loved ones an hour prior to the service in the greeting room, and burial will follow at Rosemont Cemetery in Clinton, SC.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church, Mauldin, SC, www.gcpc.net; or Shriners Hospital for Children, Greenville, SC. www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/greenville.
Arrangements by Mackey Funerals and Cremations at Century Drive, 864-232-6706.
- John Samuel Patterson, Sr., Father
- Remell Ayers Patterson, Mother
- Virgil Bennett Simpson, Husband
- Philip Bennett Simpson, Son
- Janet Gilchrist, Daughter
- Martin Gilchrist, Son-in-law
- Emily Helmick, Daughter
- Martin Gilchrist III, Grandson
- Katie Gilchrist, Granddaughter-in-law
- Ashley Helmick, Granddaughter
- Mary Grace Gilchrist, Great Granddaughter
- Bennett Gilchrist, Great Grandson
- George Gilchrist, Great Grandson
- Betty Jean Giles, Sister
- Wilma Neal, Sister
- Melvin E. Patterson, Brother
- John S. Patterson, Jr., Brother
- Michael Lum Patterson, Brother
- The Staff of Mackey Funerals and Cremations at Century Drive
- Visitation Saturday, July 7, 2018
- Funeral Service Saturday, July 7, 2018
have a memory or condolence to add?ADD A MEMORY
July 6, 2018
I'm so sorry about Aunt Bobbie Sue. I remember going to her and Uncle Virgil's home when I was younger and she always had something delicious to eat. She was a wonderful cook and a very sweet, loving person. I know you have wonderful and fond memories and I know you all will miss her terribly. Praying for you all! May God bless you and grant you peace. 🙏💐
July 6, 2018
I always loved Aunt Bobbie Sue coming to our house. When I was little I thought her red toe nails were beautiful. As I grew up I always wanted to be like her. She was a blessing to me and my family. Rest In Peace until we meet again!