Linda Darlene Faris

February 13, 1944April 2, 2021

On April 2, 2021, Linda Darlene Faris has gone to meet up with her parents John and Vivian McLain today. She will also be joining her two sons, Todd, Michael and his wife Maria and her brother-in-law Gary Cox who have all preceded her in leaving this earth. Linda Darlene McLain was born on February 13 in 1944 to John, Vivian and her sister Deanna. I have heard many stories about her childhood, the best of which showed me how determined she could be. Her sister calls it stubborn. This involved getting her pet skunk which she named Flower. It seems she was the kid on long car trips that could simply not sit still and had to know “are we there yet” “how much longer” “when are we gonna get there” “I need to go potty”. We all had one in the family. Her mom and dad told her that if she did not say a word on the entire trip, when they got home she could get her pet. Linda promptly went back in the house and taped her mouth shut. As you may have known, she got her Flower. She would walk her new pet around on a leash, her favorite route included going by the local bar and watch the drunks come out and take the second look, sometimes turning around to go in for one more round. Another practice that I witnessed even done as an adult. When going out for dinner at a restaurant, Linda would first choose her dessert and then choose a meal that made sure she could enjoy her treat. Upon finishing high school, Linda opted for going to work for Pacific Northwest Bell rather than heading off to college. She had interned there for two years on a work study program and decided to stay. On her first job with PNB she was working on the mechanical switch board and was proud that she was able to put four years of taking Russian as a language as the translator for calls from Russia. She also told me of the day that entire switch board lite up from one end to the other. The stunned operators all looked at each other and just said “UH-OH”. President Kennedy had just been shot. Linda married Don Takach and they had three children. Michael, Todd, and Melissa. In this time, they also built the farm on Wheeler RD in Boring. Linda told me that she drove the building contractor nuts with her visits and observations. Here they raised their children as well as a few horses and an assortment of dogs. All of which came with stories that I was only able to enjoy hearing. Many were hilarious. Through all this time, her positions at the telephone company changed as well as the name of the company, her children grew, and her marriage ended. Linda was introduced to Stu Faris and they were married in July of 1991 on the Columbia Sternwheeler. Joining into this family was a whole new experience for her as after the first family Christmas at the farm, dealing with the new brothers-in-law Linda declared after everyone was gone—NEVER AGAIN IN MY HOUSE! That did not last as Linda came to enjoy the fun in their quirky views on life and sense of humor, joining in if only for her own defense. She quickly grew to love the new in-laws and they all loved her. A story told me by one of her coworkers how they were all sitting around the table in the lunch room and over heard a couple of the other ladies were talking about how there was this outside tech that gets together with his brothers to build boats and then blow them all up. Linda turned around and with a little wave and her smirky smile just said “that’s my hubby”. In 2001, after 38 years, Linda retired from the phone company in her position as a residential service representative. The last of many and varied duties. The company that had gone from PNB, to USWEST, to Qwest, and has changed names twice since then. Linda and Stu moved off the farm and into town shortly after her retirement to live in what was their rental, while remodeling the home. Imagine no bathroom for a week and no kitchen for six weeks, all as Stu was still working. After finally finishing that project they started looking for a new spot, purchasing the new house in Argay Terrace. Of course, many repairs and remodeling later made it what it is today. Shortly after moving to this new home, Linda got bored and started working for the local grade school. First, she did kitchen and substitute assistance work. Later, Linda took over a specialized reading program which she performed for several years. Unfortunately, the demands of this job and health issues from interacting with the children forced her to leave this calling. Her grandson, JJ, was born and Linda spent many happy hours caring for him while his mother worked. Always referring to him as the little guy. Again, unfortunately, Linda started having afflictions associated with Alzheimers and had to give up her drivers license, which kept her from watching the little guy as much. Linda then began patrolling the neighborhood on her daily walks, spending time getting to know everyone she would meet. In 2015, shortly after her 71st birthday, due to the debilitating nature of her illness, it became necessary for Linda to be put under full time care at Pacifica Senior Care. It seems that according to her youngest grand daughter Reese, this has not stopped Linda, since she has been visiting Reese and telling her stories. Melissa says this is a bit scary as she recognizes some of the stories being told to her little girl. Linda’s spirit will not be held down by something as little as not being able to get out. I expect this to continue on. Her spirit is still among us all. Linda is survived by her husband, Stuart, sister Deanna, her daughter Melissa and husband John Stilwell, Jillana and husband Zach, Jason and husband Peter, and Jessica, eight grand children, Colton and fiancé Mariah, Jenna, JJ, Reese, Ty and Josh, Kaylee and Emily. Also, future granddaughter Keagen. Linda has also just become a great grandmother to Calvin with Mom Mariah and dad Colton. I would say Rest in Peace Linda, but you still have work to do. You have young ones to watch over. Tell them about their mother/ grandmother. We will join up with you when our time in this world is complete. No memorial is planned. Instead, please think of a place or time you shared with Linda, take a snack and beverage of choice, go there and remember her. She will be there with you. In lieu of cards and flowers, please make a donation in her name to the Alzheimer’s association to help fight this affliction.


No public services are scheduled at this time. Receive a notification when services are updated.

Memories and condolences

Bring comfort and tell the story of your loved one’s lifetime. Leave a memory, tell a favorite story or share a kind word or condolence.

receive updates

when friends and family add new memories


for sharing memories and condolences